Which Is Better? Superglue Or String?

Sequoia

So I’m currently working on getting more plants in my aquarium and I want to add Anubias Nana to my tank so I was going to attach it to my bridge in the tank. It has a texture and gaps where I think the plant can attach itself but, which is better to help it attach? Superglue or string? And if it’s superglue what’s the best brand for the job?

FishFor2018

String.

BottomDweller

I use rubber bands.

MD_Plants

I use string. Lasts longer and easier to hide.

Smalltownfishfriend

Super glue imo. I like it because you can't see it. I always have problems with my plants becoming untied and floating around!!

georgelee1000

Superglue as long as it’s fish safe. Let it dry completely.

wodesorel

I had always used string up until my last redo when I went with superglue. So much easier!

-Mak-

I like glue because I don’t have the patience for string

Sequoia

-Mak- I don’t have much of that either! Is there a superglue that’s safe for fish and at a reasonable price?

aussieJJDude

-Mak- I don’t have much of that either! Is there a superglue that’s safe for fish and at a reasonable price?
Any that have cyanoacrylate as an active ingredient - most brands have above mentioned as their active ingredient.

Kalyke

I tried super glue on tiny bucephelandra plant cuttings. It ended up a mess and ruined the rock it used it on. I ended up stitching them into plastic cross stitch fabric and using it as a mat.

I only use thread for small plants. Since I only buy larger anubias, I get it large enough to zip tie the rhizomes to driftwood. If the driftwood is too fat, I drill a hole in it to pass the zip tie through. When the anubias roots have tied themselves to the driftwood after a year or so, I cut the zip tie off.

Mcasella

Loctite super gel glue is going to be the easiest to work with, it will cure underwater but only needs about 15 seconds to set before you can put everything back into the water (the good thing is anubias do not wither out of water as fast as everything else - had one my cat took out of my tank and it managed to come back from just the rhizome).
Gel is going to be easier to work with than regular super glue. Try to just anchor the roots and not the rhizome.

Keith83

I use gorilla glue gel. It stays put while you're attaching the plant and cures right before your eyes when you spritz it with water......I still wait a few minutes before putting it in tank just as a precaution. I have 4 Anubias plants on rocks and a dozen Java Fern on driftwood. No problem going on 5 months.

-Mak-

Gel glue that is cyanoacrylate is safe

Dch48

Super glue imo. I like it because you can't see it. I always have problems with my plants becoming untied and floating around!!
Same here. Everything I tie winds up coming loose.

Joker321

Gel Super Glue, is the way to go IMO. Never had a problem with it.

LeticiaM

Sorry to jump on the thread, when everyone uses string, is it just regular sewing thread??

Thank you!

max h

I use Power Pro fishing line due to it's high strength to diameter ratio, and dull darkish green color. It's really hard to tell that the plant is tied on unless you get right up on the tank. Another reason I use it, I have a bunch around the house seems how I use it on most of my fishing reels. I normally have 30-50 yards left over from spooling a reel.

LeticiaM

Fishing line would work great!! I should probably just buy some for this purpose, but until I do that, is there a problem with using normal sewing thread? Other than it will likely untie. Would the dye be toxic to fish?

NLindsey921

I us the gorilla glue. I normally just put it on the plant rizome then glue it in the water. I hold it down for 20 to 30 seconds and it's good. No fish or plant loss yet.

max h

Fishing line would work great!! I should probably just buy some for this purpose, but until I do that, is there a problem with using normal sewing thread? Other than it will likely untie. Would the dye be toxic to fish?

There's others that use thread and I haven't heard about problems. Over time a cotton thread will decompose in the water, but the plant should be attached by then.

BusterBot28

With my java ferns I use 12lb monofilament(fishing line) it was 4 bucks for 300 yards and I clip it off when it has been about four weeks.

HairyCatFish

I use dark colored cotton thread. Just takes a little patience.

Jocelyn Adelman

Zip ties

FishFor2018

I’ve got close to 20 java ferns on an ornament and I just tied them with some fishing line .......simple

WTFish?

I use regular gorilla glue when possible, so much easier. I had to tie down some java moss clippings recently though, since there is no rhizome thread was easier in that case.

JAMarlow

String always comes untied for me (usually accidentally by shrimp nibbling at it). So I've since used super glue gel or Gorilla Glue gel. Both have worked great!

String always comes untied for me (usually accidentally by shrimp nibbling at it). So I've since used super glue gel or Gorilla Glue gel. Both have worked great!

ItsMeBrad

I used thread with no issues. I held my Java fern against the driftwood and wrapped it a bunch of times, didn't even have to tie the ends.

leftswerve

Super glue works great with anubius (fish too apparently)
20180906_185240.jpg

Sequoia

Thanks everyone for helping me with my plants that I'll getting some time! I really appreciate it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WendiWoo
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
Sina-key
Replies
Views