Which is better Am guard or prime?

dmh41532

Which is better for treating ammonia for a cycled tank? Am guard or prime? My issues is ammonia is in my well water. Looks like both temporarily neutralize ammonia until the bio filter can remove it. Or would I be best to just buy water?

ButtercuptheOranda

Which is better for treating ammonia for a cycled tank? Am guard or prime? My issues is ammonia is in my well water. Looks like both temporarily neutralize ammonia until the bio filter can remove it. Or would I be best to just buy water?
I personally prefer prime but that’s just me

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Alright, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I have never used AmGuard, but it does say it is viable for 72 hours, while Prime only says 48 hours. Both are made by the same company, so I have no reason to not believe AmGuard does not work as stated. Both say they detoxify ammonia without affect consumption by our beneficial bacteria, and that's certainly true with Prime, so again, no reason to think AmGuard works differently. So with that said, I'd say go with AmGuard.

By the way, what's the concentration of ammonia you are reading from your well water? And how big of water changes do you normally do?

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Alright, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I have never used AmGuard, but it does say it is viable for 72 hours, while Prime only says 48 hours. Both are made by the same company, so I have no reason to not believe AmGuard does not work as stated. Both say they detoxify ammonia without affect consumption by our beneficial bacteria, and that's certainly true with Prime, so again, no reason to think AmGuard works differently. So with that said, I'd say go with AmGuard.

By the way, what's the concentration of ammonia you are reading from your well water? And how big of water changes do you normally do?
Ok I actually agree with azendenkae

Upvote 0

dmh41532

It’s either .25 or .50 based off the color charts, I run the water through an ro system too and it’s the same even through the ro system. I just did a 10 gallon water change, the tank finished the re cycle earlier this week, so I wanted to do I change before adding fish. It’s set up for a figure 8 puffers, so I’ll probably change 10-15 gallons weekly, minimum.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

It’s either .25 or .50 based off the color charts, I run the water through an ro system too and it’s the same even through the ro system. I just did a 10 gallon water change, the tank finished the re cycle earlier this week, so I wanted to do I change before adding fish. It’s set up for a figure 8 puffers, so I’ll probably change 10-15 gallons weekly, minimum.
I actually wouldn't be overly concerned about that amount of ammonia. Even if it is .5 from the tap and you did a 50% water change the ammonia in the tank will only be .25 Your bacteria should clear that amount out in a matter of a few hours. A normal amount of Prime added with the water change will keep it detoxed until the bacteria removes it. If you are only changing out 10-15% of the water the amount of ammonia will be so low in the tank it probably won't even register in the test tube.

Upvote 0

dmh41532

I actually wouldn't be overly concerned about that amount of ammonia. Even if it is .5 from the tap and you did a 50% water change the ammonia in the tank will only be .25 Your bacteria should clear that amount out in a matter of a few hours. A normal amount of Prime added with the water change will keep it detoxed until the bacteria removes it. If you are only changing out 10-15% of the water the amount of ammonia will be so low in the tank it probably won't even register in the test tube.
I just checked the ammonia in the tank, and it appears to be zero. The water change was around 3 1/2 hours ago. Thought I typically change around 25% twice a week with puffers, even smaller ones like the figure 8 is hoping to find soon.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I just checked the ammonia in the tank, and it appears to be zero. The water change was around 3 1/2 hours ago. Thought I typically change around 25% twice a week with puffers, even smaller ones like the figure 8 is hoping to find soon.
This tells us you have enough bacteria to handle the very low amount of ammonia you have in your tap water. Prime is going to assure your fish will not be bothered during the time it takes to clear the ammonia out of there after a water change.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
FBI