Which Heater Is Best For My 65 Gallon Tank?

TetraKing101

I have the choice to buy two heaters the fluval m300 watt and the fluval m200 watt witch one is best suited for my 65 gallon tank

I have a 65 gallon tank should I get one or two heaters and how many watts

RookieTank

Between those two I'd go with the larger one, ideally I'd get 2 -200 one on each side of the tank

CaptAnnDuchow

My 65 is the foot print of the 55 but 10in taller and I have 2 300 going one one each side.

grump299

I always use 2 in all my tanks one on each side for a 65g two 200w heaters will do the job.. better heat distribution throughout the tank..

oldsalt777

Hello Tetra...

I use a couple of Aqueon 200 watt preset heaters in my 60 gallon tank. The heaters are preset to roughly 75 degrees, so you never need to adjust them. They run about $25.00 a piece at the local pet store. Amazon will have them a few dollars less, though. What are you putting into this tank? If you go with fancy Goldfish, you can skip the heaters.

Old

Cichlidude

Here is a table you need to help you decide on what heater you need.

Heater Guide.jpg

Ridge Chambers

Heads up, all the heaters I bought from PetSmart have failed on me except for the shiny fluval one and a ehiem. I will be running those in all my tanks now.

Last night a marineland heater almost cooked my qt tank and it was only a few months old.

Thunder_o_b

I have switched all our aquariums to the Finnex HGP line. They come in 100, 200 and 300 watts. I have two 300 watt in the 150 tall.

The digital read out can be read from across the room, and the temp adjust is on the end of the power cord. They are very accurate when compared to known accurate thermometers.

TetraKing101

Here is a table you need to help you decide on what heater you need.

Heater Guide.jpg

What dose 10f,15f,20f and 25 f mean

I have switched all our aquariums to the Finnex HGP line. They come in 100, 200 and 300 watts. I have two 300 watt in the 150 tall.

The digital read out can be read from across the room, and the temp adjust is on the end of the power cord. They are very accurate when compared to known accurate thermometers.

Do you know how much they go for

Cichlidude

What dose 10f,15f,20f and 25 f mean
Delta T.... Difference in temperature. Difference from your ambient room temperature to what you want in your tank. So if you want 80 degrees in your tank and your lowest room temperature is 60 degrees, you delta T is 20 degrees.

CaptAnnDuchow

Fluval M 200-Watt Submersible Heater I have 2 of these in my 65g one on each end and they work perfect

Islandvic

How low does the room temp get where the aqaurium is?

What is the target temp you want to keep the tank at?

I ask because the temp differential between the two will help determine the wattage for the heater.

Without knowing specifics, you probably need between a 200-300 watt heater.

For example, I use a 250 watt Aqueon Pro heater in my 75g, but the room doesn't dip below 68°f and usually around 70°f in the winter. If the room temp was I'm the low pr mid 60's though, I probably would need a larger heater.

Petsmart has Aqueon 200w and 300w heaters on sale for $22. If you buy online and pick up in store, you get another 5% off.

Kensfish.com has Fluval 200w heaters for $21.75 and 300w for $23.65, Finnex HGP digital heaters 200w & 300w for $27, Marineland 200w-300w heaters for $23-$25 and Eheim Jager 200-250-300 watt heaters for $29.

Ken's also has good prices on fish food and other stuff also.

I have bought from them before.

Addie42

I highly recommend the Eheim brand.
My apartment fluctuates in temperature a lot being in a basement apartment in a Canadian winter (is it going to 5 today, or -38???) and it does a really, really good job at staying a consistent temperature. My non-adjustable heaters don't compare, at all.

Donthemon

Do you have a canister filter? I have a Hydor external inline filter for two years now no problems. Only need one of them.

A201

300 watt Ehiem Jager. Cost about $30 - $35. I've got three of them. Never a problem.

Islandvic

1 heater of the right size usually works.

The size in watts can vary.

What would be the tank's average target temp, and what would be the coldest ambient temp of the room during the year?

Subtract the lowest room temp from the target tank temp.

There are charts online with a table to match heater size to the corresponding tank size vs temperature differential.

The larger the temperature differential, the larger the required heater is needed for a given size tank.

My 75 gallon tank does just fine with a 250watt heater, but that heater might be inadequate if the tank was in a basement in Michigan during a winter Artic blast.

Let us know the lowest room temp and what temp you want your tank to be at, and on sure some members will give you some suggestions.

As far as brands, I would trust the usual name brands in the fish keeping hobby.

I would stay away from the unknown brands on Amazon, that are half the price as a usual name brand heater. You don't want the thermostat to fail and come home to a cooked tank of fish!

TetraKing101

Do you have a canister filter? I have a Hydor external inline filter for two years now no problems. Only need one of them.

Yes I have a fluval 306
And a penguin 350

1 heater of the right size usually works.

The size in watts can vary.

What would be the tank's average target temp, and what would be the coldest ambient temp of the room during the year?

Subtract the lowest room temp from the target tank temp.

There are charts online with a table to match heater size to the corresponding tank size vs temperature differential.

The larger the temperature differential, the larger the required heater is needed for a given size tank.

My 75 gallon tank does just fine with a 250watt heater, but that heater might be inadequate if the tank was in a basement in Michigan during a winter Artic blast.

Let us know the lowest room temp and what temp you want your tank to be at, and on sure some members will give you some suggestions.

As far as brands, I would trust the usual name brands in the fish keeping hobby.

I would stay away from the unknown brands on Amazon, that are half the price as a usual name brand heater. You don't want the thermostat to fail and come home to a cooked tank of fish!

I have read that one 300watt would work but I live in Canada so would that affect it

I have a 5 gallon with noting in it right now and in the winter it is 60 degrees

Not sure about the tank temp though

Islandvic

So it's possible the room will go as low as 60f, correct?

What type of stocking of fish were you planning?

Community tropical? Rams? Cichlids?

I'm asking so we can ballpark estimate your target tank temp.

I think it was Cichlidude that has posted the heater table chart I was talking about. Maybe he will chime in and post it, if he has it still.

TetraKing101

So it's possible the room will go as low as 60f, correct?

What type of stocking of fish were you planning?

Community tropical? Rams? Cichlids?

I'm asking so we can ballpark estimate your target tank temp.

I think it was Cichlidude that has posted the heater table chart I was talking about. Maybe he will chime in and post it, if he has it still.

Yes the room can go that low. Not sure what species but community tropical

grump299

I would use 2 250w heaters one on each side.. I use 2 300w heaters one on each side of a 75 gallon and my temp never moves one way or the other from 77.5f even in the winter and I keep the house at around 72f on thermostat...
Now for make any one of the reputable brands will do ok I use eheim jager brand never had a problem with them but I make sure I replace them every few years..

Cichlidude

Here is the table to help with what size heater you need. Delta T is the difference from lowest ambient room temperature to your tank temperature. Always get a heater larger than you think you need.

Heater Guide.jpg

grump299

Here is the table to help with what size heater you need. Delta T is the difference from ambient room temperature to your tank temperature. Always get a heater larger than you think you need.

Heater Guide.jpg
Well by that table looks like I have more then I need then it should never move from 77.5f if house is at 70f-72f

MikeStang

I bought two Aqueon Pro 200W for my 75G

CCinBama

I second the Eheim Jager. It’s all I’ve used for years and they are super reliable.

Orion1066

300 watt Ehiem Jager. Cost about $30 - $35. I've got three of them. Never a problem.

I was wondering which size heater (watts) would pair best with a 20 gallon long tank. I am familiar with the Ehiem Jager brand.

I second the Eheim Jager. It’s all I’ve used for years and they are super reliable.

How many watts would your recommend for a 20 gallon long tank?

kallililly1973

100-150 watt... sometimes getting a bit bigger will help in the long run Incase u ever have to treat for ick and turn the temp up to 84-86... one suitable for your tank may not be able to get it as warm as day one size up.

Cichlidude

How many watts would your recommend for a 20 gallon long tank?
Read above.

sixtyfour

Since you have canister filters, external inline is the only way to go. It gets the heater out if view. They work amazingly well. I have the Hydor, but whatever brand get an inline.

Lol, I just realized this was originally posted in March. I'm going to guess he already bought a heater

Agua86

Lol, I just realized this was originally posted in March. I'm going to guess he already bought a heater[ ]
Probably. But I am here trying to get info on a good heater for a 55g. I'd like something with a long power cord. Not sure what type of filter I'll be running in this tank. It will house 1 juvie fahaka puffer and guppies. House temp stays around 76°f in summer and 68-72°f during winter.

sixtyfour

I really like my inline canister heater, but obviously that requires canister filter. I know a lot of folks like to run two heaters in case one fails, but I don't like the way that looks. I've had good luck with the Hydor name brand. Long power cord might be hard to find. Companies don't like doing that for safety reasons. If you have to use an extension use a thick heavy duty cable. These things pull a good bit of power. You could melt a old cheapy indoor cord that we all seem to have laying around.

Similar Aquarium Threads

10 Gallon Tank Looking for a good heater
  • FernAndJoop
  • Heater
Replies
Views
FernAndJoop
  • Question
  • Dillan Murphy
  • Heater
Replies
Views