Which has the best clarity

KribensisLover1

I know I've asked this in various ways but if I'm spending a ton on a new aquarium, and my biggest priority is clarity what is the clearest (acrylic vs starfire vs another type/brand of high quality glass like low iron, or something different I haven't mentioned)? Do some materials begin looking great but over time don't last as well? I know acrylic scratches but besides that issue? I have a SeaClear where the fish appear to be floating in air it's so clear but maybe the high quality glass is even better! I have nowhere to actually SEE the high quality glass tanks in person so I truly have no clue. Name brands or materials of specific glass/specific acrylic brands that are great or are not great are much appreciated. TY!!!!!

AvalancheDave

What size tank are you looking at? Despite being a premium brand, Waterboxes do still leak like glass tanks are known to. All my tanks larger than 10 gal are acrylic and the only tank I've had leak was a 10 gal glass tank.

Starphire is closer to acrylic but acrylic is still the clarity champ.

KribensisLover1

What size tank are you looking at? Despite being a premium brand, Waterboxes do still leak like glass tanks are known to. All my tanks larger than 10 gal are acrylic and the only tank I've had leak was a 10 gal glass tank.

Starphire is closer to acrylic but acrylic is still the clarity champ.
Awesome! That's exactly what I am asking. And at least 50 gallons. I want the room across the bottom so I prefer 50 over 55. I would like larger but it's tough to find a SeaClear acrylic over 50 gallons (besides on sites I haven't ordered from so I'm wary). For some reason clear for life tanks are much more expensive. What brand of acrylic is your favorite and why? And have you found the lids on your acrylics to be awful (the SeaClear came with a hood that has to be removed every time you want into the tank, and so I got a light on brackets, and used the flimsy piece of plastic on the bottom of the hood as a tank lid. It broke and I'm in the process of getting a custom flatback hex acrylic lid made). l only have experience with SeaClear and most acrylics aren't sold in stores near me so I truly can't tell how other tank hoods/lids are (though many brands appear to have the same hood as SeaClears). I don't mind getting new lights but just curious if this is an issue across the acrylic tank brands. I emailed the company glass cages, and they can build an acrylic for me that's 40x18x18 for around $800 that has eurobracing. I don't think I mind eurobracing but I've never seen it in person. Have you? The main question I have about glass cage acrylics is if they are seamless Bc I can't tell from the pictures online and the seamless look is top two favorite things about acrylic tanks. THANK YOU!!!!!

AvalancheDave

Envision Acrylics is considered the best and I'll probably order my "dream tank" from them one of these days. Someone here bought one and posted pictures.

I guess seamless is when they use a long piece and bend it at the corners? My 40 gal is like that.

The SeaClear lids are awful. I didn't use them or the lights and eventually had a local plastics store cut me three rectangles of polycarbonate which can be thin because it doesn't warp like acrylic when unsupported.

If you were to buy from a premium manufacturer like Envision you could order polycarbonate lids then.

Eurobracing is basically less bracing which requires thicker acrylic to prevent bowing. I don't really see the point of it and don't plan on having it on any of my future acrylic tanks.

The $800 price is kind of steep for Glass Cages. I don't think an Envision would cost that much more.

KribensisLover1

Envision Acrylics is considered the best and I'll probably order my "dream tank" from them one of these days. Someone here bought one and posted pictures.

I guess seamless is when they use a long piece and bend it at the corners? My 40 gal is like that.

The SeaClear lids are awful. I didn't use them or the lights and eventually had a local plastics store cut me three rectangles of polycarbonate which can be thin because it doesn't warp like acrylic when unsupported.

If you were to buy from a premium manufacturer like Envision you could order polycarbonate lids then.

Eurobracing is basically less bracing which requires thicker acrylic to prevent bowing. I don't really see the point of it and don't plan on having it on any of my future acrylic tanks.

The $800 price is kind of steep for Glass Cages. I don't think an Envision would cost that much more.
THANK YOU! This info is HUGE. going to drool over the envision tanks now! Edit: am I INSANE for really wanting seamless? The pics on the site here don't look seamless? I think I like it more BC I have a flatback hex so seams would look awful. But even the rectangle seaclears have rounded corners. Is that nuts to care so much about that? And all the online reviews are the same abour best acrylic all SeaClear which I know isn't true so your feedback is so so amazing. They all compare those and the glo light tertra and there's so much more out there! I emailed envisio. Thank you!
224D0EB7-D0F8-4ABC-B8DA-319CF763A2E1.png
224D0EB7-D0F8-4ABC-B8DA-319CF763A2E1.png

AvalancheDave

THANK YOU! This info is HUGE. going to drool over the envision tanks now! Edit: am I INSANE for really wanting seamless? The pics on the site here don't look seamless? I think I like it more BC I have a flatback hex so seams would look awful. But even the rectangle seaclears have rounded corners. Is that nuts to care so much about that? And all the online reviews are the same abour best acrylic all SeaClear which I know isn't true so your feedback is so so amazing. They all compare those and the glo light tertra and there's so much more out there! I emailed envisio. Thank you!

Those look like two joined panels but with polished edges. I'm sure they have a rounded corner option (especially for smaller tanks).

What's interesting about pricing is that it's often based on how much unusable leftover material there is. Most acrylic sheets are 8 x 4 feet so a 5' tank will often cost almost as much as a 6' tank. Get quotes for a range of sizes and see what gets you the most for the money.

KribensisLover1

Those look like two joined panels but with polished edges. I'm sure they have a rounded corner option (especially for smaller tanks).

What's interesting about pricing is that it's often based on how much unusable leftover material there is. Most acrylic sheets are 8 x 4 feet so a 5' tank will often cost almost as much as a 6' tank. Get quotes for a range of sizes and see what gets you the most for the money.
Thank you! I asked about a 50 and a 65 just to have an idea but I'll ask about larger options as well. I wanted to have an idea of the price differences as opposed to glass cages. Also I've been using api safe and easy on my acrylic tanks--I've assumed this is safe and won't scratch but what do you use

AvalancheDave

Thank you! I asked about a 50 and a 65 just to have an idea but I'll ask about larger options as well. I wanted to have an idea of the price differences as opposed to glass cages. Also I've been using api safe and easy on my acrylic tanks--I've assumed this is safe and won't scratch but what do you use

I actually haven't cleaned the outside of my tanks in awhile. When the time comes, I'm thinking of using oxalic acid mixed with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Vinegar is another possibility.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamesRush93
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views