Which food would you pick? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yasha, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Again, we need to look at the whole of a formulation into what it achieves, proves or claims; and unless your a certified nutritionist, then please refer to absolute proofs rather then speculations or assumptions which are or come across biased. Bring long term solid knowledge and scientific proof or solid research forward so as to allow others make viable choices.

I've fed koi, fancies and tropicals with one brand and one brand only for years and yes have tried many others. Are others good, sure they are, which is better, what ever suits your needs and bottom line; budget.

My oldest koi for example are 9 years old and considered the finest of their breed in both colour, body portions, shine and scaling and don't dare call them a carp. Same goes for my fancies where the oldest being almost 9 years old. Never once have my fish suffered any sickness, Their immune systems are in perfect condition imo and it shows when one has been injured from breeding, scraping a scale off, nips and cuts that happen from on oversight such as dangerous decorations. Their healing time is without infection, fungus or other and I well attribute this to the food and environment factors. Just this last week, Diablo, one of my butterfly koi snapped off 7 large scales, two areas showed stress to the flesh. I used no meds or other treatment, just let him be and fed him as normal. 6 days later, almost nothing shows and new scale and colour regeneration present. If my feed was bad because of wheat germ, then no way in heck would that have been possible. Where wheat germ is an issue is in cheap feed or an insufficient cheap formulation and that's where issues happen such as swimming sickness, bloat and other.

So before we go off on wheat germ, and other ingredients simply pick what works best for you and the results you want. For your information, many cold water species if kept in captivity must be fed wheat germ base during colder temps such as wintering of goldfish of any kind and that of koi.

My fancies are fed Saki Hikari and are 3 of the finest you will find in all the things a top breeder or show class keeper strives for. I keep show class fish of all kinds. Koi, fancies, betta, rams, tetras, rainbows and all are fed Hikari (Saki) for their species in dry pellets. I also use the same brand (Hikari) for frozen and also use NLS waffers for those species that require it.

Wheat germ, in the case of koi or goldfish of any kind helps to slow digestion to aid the absorption rate of other key nutrients and building block ingredients which results in far less poop which enhances the life quality of fish we keep in an artificial ecosystem. Here's another keynote that many top koi breeders and keepers know, in fact, just take a look at the pictures of my koi and you'll see why. It is the wg that aids all the beneficial growth proteins required to build such beauty of a fish. Big, solid frames showing a truly healthy fed fish. Here's another point I'll make. All my stock get fed once a day and only on my days off do they get more than that. My topicals, fancies and koi are all very healthy, robust and actively vibrant.

Every pellet format has fillers of some kind or other and the choice of fillers vary from one type of pellet to another and one brand and another. In fact, here's a little info. Fillers are required for two aspects of any given formulation dry or semi dry and even wet. The filler acts as the catalyst to either hold everything together and/or ease in the transition of digestion or application. This is a proven scientific fact. As a product formulation company; we use a multitude of fibrous fillers that provide many actions. This is based on pure professional use of product formulations and development that adhere to the same basic baseline of any product created for use towards consumption whether oral or dermatological. The source of these fillers are also of importance, meaning raised natural for use, or genetically modified fo use. 50 years ago, the terms of gluten intolerance or wheat intolerance where unheard of. Today it is a big issue and I fully agree whereas in my choice of Hikari is based on long term proven results.

2. OP
    OP
    yasha

yashaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I know were off topic but I think the topic is mostly done and is it ok if i say its ok in my thread? lol

My boy I had at about 8 months I believe someone lived in a apartment that couldn't have dogs and still got him. Had to give him up after the land owner fond out. hes around 5 now and the aussie mix is around 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    Yet again i just dable in the african cichlid area of fish keeping but for me and other african cichlid keeper ik use paradigm for our fish... The main one i remember is marc from west coast cichlids he even wrote and essay on how much he likes it.

4. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you that's a lot of info I didn't want to go with Hikari as it's very prices and I wanted cheaper but still good for a long healthy life. Mine are just for me to watch so they don't have to be best of the best in look just nice to me as you said. They could live on cheap food and still live a long time but I want a bit better for them then that.

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    Both look like amazings dogs

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Which of the 3-4 would you go with if you were me and wanted heath but not top of the line fish and not a high food bill but not so cheap as to hurt there health?
    Omage, NLS, Cobalt or Peredigm?
    The 1st 3 are the cheapest and all around the same price of $1.4 or so a oz and peredigm is a little high at about $2.2 a oz

Added:

I fond Hikari (Lionhead not saki) for $1.25 a oz seems I was just looking it up wrong so guess it can go in the price range with Omage, NLS, and Cobalt

So order of price online With shipping
    Hikari (Lionhead not saki) 1.23
    Omega One 1.25
    Cobalt 1.45
    Sho Gold 1.56
    New Life Spectrum 1.70
    Paradigm 2.37 So it is a lot more hmm.. Still like to try it but over all maybe I'd be best with the others and maybe using it as a healthy treat? (even with my dogs there treats are dog food or ice)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  7. Dadio

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    NLS is a good one from all I read as well and another of my good friends uses nls with good results for his fancies and other stock. I tried colbalt a while back and still got it as bubbles spit it out lol, should throw it as it's 2 years old. Paradigm would be in the same class as Saki imo.

Giving them a high end food even as a treat is well worth it imo. For example, I treat my koi to a silkworm mix from hikari at a 10% ratio during warming periods (goldies like it too and it is good for them) which they fight over almost when giving it to them. With the saki from hikari it can be a little more costing on the feed as it needs to be constant staple in order for the probiotics to be efficient and is a premium food. I use the saki multiseason for my koi due to the varied temps up north here. I also feed all my fancies this http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/saki-hikari-fancy-goldfish/ as there staple once a day. Most other foods need more feedings to get the same nutrient value impact. So even if the cost is more up front, your not feeding as much to get the same or even better results in my experience. Like I said, all my stock is only fed once a day for the most part and even then, there are days they go with out hand fed food.

You can also offset cost by introducing fresh veggies, clean earthworms (oh they love this and redworms too). Worms are very high on protein so don't go crazy. Overfeeding of proteins will show when the whites start to show a yellow tinge. Goldies as with koi are in fact bottom feeders for the most part. They search out micro particles, worms and other in their natural settings from my experience. Bubbles my oldest fancy was a gobbler for worms when in the pond. Was really funny to see her swim(wiggle lol) away with a nightcrawler with a few of the koi not far behind in case she dropped it. My pond actually has a healthy staple of small redworms living in the stream beds or the small rock areas of my pond. My koi are always sifting there. With worms, always rinse before giving even if bought ones like those from bait shops. I do give them treats from my garden including those gooey slugs. I also have given them other veggies and fruits as treats. Doing this can also help cut your pellet food costs down. Goldies like many things and a variety is always good for them. They also can have fancy taste bubs and with a little experimenting you'll find what works. A good friend of mine back east makes a mash of veggies and fruits and fed his fancies this along with hikari oranda pellets and he had beautiful fish with bright whites and reds. Simply stunning specimens he had.

Here's a number of things they are known (all hard veggies need to be pre-cooked or blanched, including rice)

Peas(blanched), lettuce, spinach, kale, zucchini(blanched), carrots, cucumbers(blanched), apples, grapes, garlic, pieces of orange (for vitamin C), rice(cooked), broccoli(blanched), corn, beans(blanched) and watermelon.

Hope this helps more.

On another note, I was away on a conference and the wife could not find the food bags or it was low. So as a midterm, believe it or not, she crushed up some dry cat food and used this to feed our fancies of which I had no concern as it had similar ingredients. She thinks there always hungry, but they got her well trained.

8. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Experience:
    Just started
    Fancies are prone to swim bladder and constipation issues. Most are raised on wet food versus dry pellets. I highly recommend you look at Repashy brand gel foods. I feed my ranchu both their soilent green and community plus products. Best of luck.

9. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you both.

10. Dadio

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Pleasure. It's hard at times with all the marketing hype behind products and yes I well understand it can get somewhat costly but the way I look at it is I was given the responsibility to be a fishkeeper and in all due respect, they deserve the best that we can do within our means. With what I feed my stock I've never had issues but I also got mine from a high quality breeder from back east who also fed the same as me.

Fancies, depending on breeder can be a hit and miss and many food brands while not bad persay are maybe not the best for some species even in it looks good on paper or widely used.

So hopefully the information provided gives you peace of mind and a few options to choose. Remember, while even bred in captivity their needs are varied where they require fresh foods as well.

Just like a human, if we ate the same thing everyday we'd see a lot of angry peeps.

11. trioracle

trioracleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I find that sakihikari pellet food is the best. I always go for the sinking and small sized foods. I don't want my Goldies to be gulping in air while they eat. Small sized pellets are better because it can pass down their stomachs more easily. Live foods, gel foods, boiled spinach and eggs what's are good too. My fishes enjoyed them

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

Become a Fishlore Member