Which food would you pick? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yasha, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hmm looks like you'll be going with Cobalt then, I presume..

2. OP
    OP
    yasha

yashaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    IMO omega has the least wrong with it but maybe also missing a lot of the good. would be nice to mess with there ingredients and take some out of the other two add the fish from the omega to them but unless you make it from scratch you can't do that. lol

one more problem with the cobalt tho is almost everything says Freeze Dried or Dried where they don't with the NLS. and freeze dried isn't the best either.

Anyone confirm that omega is lacking? Cobalt has to much Freeze Dried and fillers?
    Thinking that means over all NLS is the best for having what they need and not to much of what they don't?

if I can't get NLS at the supply store tomorrow I'll get the cobalt till the NLS can be ordered by them or shipped to me. ATM I'm feeding them TetraFin goldfish Flakes and really don't want to. Maybe till I can get to the store my tropical cobalt flakes would be better?

Sorry I would just like to learn a lot more about what I'm doing and why. I also want to start off right with these guys as they are so young I may get them to be nice big pretty goldfish. In the past when I had goldfish with my mom we didn't know much more then basic and we always got them as older to adults. Never smaller then about 4". So the little 2" seem more needy and more important to start right. They can also be made healthier in the start making them over all healthier in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    Lol all three are like 100x better than Tetra for sure. And yea I think freeze dried is bad, too much protein content maybe... So yea you should probably stick with the NLS...

4. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ty I looked at the cobalt tropical flakes I have and wow they don't look very good either. A lot of people like the 3 but maybe its just because of one specific food or the other and all have there ones that there not as good in.

Again thank you so much for helping out.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    Well, there is no "perfect" food or brand. They all have one flaw or another. The thing is to try to find the food with the least amount of flaws.

6. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    I really like paradigm brand fish foods. There like crumbles and dont have a huge ingredient list with no extra fillers. For goldfish i would go with the paradigm omnivore fish food formula.

7. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    While not sacrificing to much beneficial in the process.
    Like with the omega one IMO not having the spirulina, garlic, seaweed hurts it. Tho I could easily add them to it but getting spirulina flakes or pellets to mix in and fresh garlic.

Thinking I may try both NLS and Omega as both have wheat but not much and one has more fish and one more vegetation. See what the fish like. I also really want to try some fresh foods on them. I was watching a video of a few picking at flesh kale(i believe) that was in a clip on the wall of the tank. They looked to have fun biting at it and pulling pieces off so maybe mine will to.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    I think goldfish are herbivores so I would go with more vegetation...

9. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Never hear of it or seen it seems hard to find in Google search to. Did find ingredients and your right it looks really nice. What is the price difference tho and where did you find it?

thats was my thinking to and why I was thinking no to the omega hmm.. Maybe I should stick with that thinking and not go with the omage for them goldfish omega looks more like cichlid food to me .

NLS it is and to see what food looks like price and so on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  10. LeoDiaz

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
  11. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Ingredients
    :
    Green Pea Flour, Shrimp Meal, Human Grade Spirulina Powder, Dried Egg Whites, Whole Menhaden Fish Meal, Crude Menhaden Fish Oil, Astaxanthin, Paprika, and Cayenne Pepper.

Nutritional Analysis: 38% Protein, 5% Fat, 10% Starch, 17% Fiber, 9% Sugar, 13% Minerals/Ash, and 4% Moisture.

but at 51 its a lot to pay at once tho thats only 1.06 a oz so over all the cheapest.

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hmm had this thought in my head that they were herbivores because they eat plants that are grown in the aquarium setting.

13. LeoDiaz

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    Check my last post out cheaper there.

14. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    if you have that site sort by fish type it also goes herbivore. http://www.yourfishstuff.com/paradigm-herbivore
    16 oz is $27 so $1.69 a oz (making your site a little more but less at one time)tho IDK if thats with shipping guessing both this site and one I fond is price before shipping.

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    1 lb of food will last a very long time, I'm guessing a year...

16. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The price is before shipping right? I may want to try it. Also do like that you can get a lower amount on your site as you don't have to come up with as much at once. And i know someone has used the site with no problems before. It also is always cheaper to buy in bulk and that's the price difference.

17. LeoDiaz

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    You need the omnivore formula i use the herbivore for my mbunas. 1 pound last quite some time.
    Edit: yes before shipping.

18. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I always was thinking they were herbivores but your right (guessing you already know that) there omnivores interesting that that site sorts them as herbivores. maybe there just more on the herbivore site of the omnivore group so they don't need as much meat as most other omnivore? Or maybe i have just been really wrong and that site also recommended the wrong food type.Thank you for pointing that out for me.

I missed your post at 1st with the info on them being omnivores sorry. Missed the image. my bad

19. LeoDiaz

Ratings:
    +83
    Experience:
    4 years
    IMO goldfish are right on omnivores cause in the wild they eat everything they find while swimming plants, bug, etc.lol.

20. OP
    OP
    yasha

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So there more of a bug/worm and plant eater not really a fish eater tho right? Do they eat fish in the wild and if I were to put a guppy with a full sized fancy goldfish would it hunt and eat the guppy or just eat it if its in its face? I guess I should have new as I know they eat worms Idk why i wasn't thinking of that fact.

You guys are really good with the info and help.

Become a Fishlore Member