Which food would you pick?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yasha, Jul 17, 2015.

1. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

DSCN6283.JPG DSCN6284.JPG
    I was looking at getting my goldfish some small pellets. The goldfish are fantail and maybe 2inch atm.

Would you go with?;
    Sho Gold
    Omega One
    New Life Spectrum
    Cobalt

online prices I'm looking at per oz is about;
    Sho Gold 1.56
    Omega One 1.25
    New Life Spectrum 1.70
    Cobalt 1.45

I know we have a pet supplies store we go to a lot around here that carries the Cobalt + a few others but mostly cobalt. I can however see if they carries or can order the others for me. I know there sometimes cheaper then ordering online.

Also does the orange and black one look ok? It's belly looks like it comes to a point in the middle a lot more then the other and is bigger. Sorry there in a scratched up 5 gallon atm till I clean my 20 long a little more for them. Just got them last night.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have read that it's best to feed goldfish pellets. IMO, i would go with the NLS. I feed my fish NLS and they love it! I don't have experience with Cobalt but I have read really good reviews about it

3. OP
    OP
    yasha

Thank you
    All 4 would be sinking pellets 1.4-3mm in size.
    Cobalt is what I use with my cory and cichlids tho I normally mix them with other pellets.

(added question at the end to 1st post)

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

From what I can discern, Cobalt contains more fillers than Omega or NLS. Never heard of Sho though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I do have experience with Omega One also. It's a good brand, i would go with the NLS, Cobalt or Omega One. They are good quality brands. I can't help with the last question, sorry. I don't have much experience with goldfish yet.

6. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I know goldfish should be fed pellets instead of flakes since flakes would be making them gulp in air. I don't think flakes are a problem if you soaked them first though.

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I would go with Omega, NLS , or Cobalt. They are all quality food. I can't find much info on Sho gold.

8. OP
    OP
    yasha

Thank you all. :)
    It sounds like most of you think any of the 3 more know name brands are fine. So I'll ask would you mix them or change them now and then to try a variety?

LiterallyHydro
    I agree. I've been giving them some soaked flakes atm but I think pellets are less messing/easier to find on the ground. I also have read that as they don't fall apart as easy in the water they are more nutritious. I also find it easier to tell how much I'm feeding with pellets then I do with flakes.

9. LiterallyHydro

Exactly. I personally opt to use both soaked flakes and pellets. Although I do not have goldfish, it seems to work just fine for most fish.

10. Dom90

You could buy two of the brands and alternate feeding of the two. That would add variety to their diet I think.

11. OP
    OP
    yasha

12. Dom90

Yuck! Wheat germ, whole wheat, soy meal, gluten protein... Something I would definitely stay away from. The nutritional value of that brand seems quite low.

13. OP
    OP
    yasha

ok ty. so I'll stay with the 3 well know ones. Cobalt I think will be the easiest for me to get my hands on. There all close in price.

14. Dom90

Do you have an Amazon account? If so, all three would be fairly easy to get. omega one is sold at Petco/Petsmart.

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I feed mine Omega One because the top 6 ingredients are fish or inverts. A little filler after that, but not as much as most other foods.

16. OP
    OP
    yasha

yea I can use amazon or ebay. Also would guess the store here can order any of them for me but will see after I get back up there. I know the cobalt they sell is a lot cheaper there then online so want to see if the others will be also. Think it is the worst of the 3 but may pick it up if they don't have the other 2 just to get it now vs the few days shipping from online or from the store ordering them for me. I don't want to get them from petco/petsmart as there A LOT more there then asking the other store to special order them or get them myself online. That was the case when I was looking for cory and cichlid food anyway so guessing it will be the same with goldfish food. I know with petco the website prices are not the prices in stores. The store here ups the price a lot more then it says online.

Also if you don't mind any of you willing to take the time to point out bad ingredients vs what you want in there food? Never really pad attention to why a food was good or bad till lately when i fond a dog food site that highlights every ingredient and why you want or don't want it. Now I'm trying to understand more of the make up.
    Id say TexasDomer is really right that Omega One is the best as it has so much fish. As with Dog food you want 3 meat to start tho almost everyone even the highest ones only have 2 lol. Then again I was thinking Goldfish were more vegetarian so would a lot of fish in the food be best for them or is that something better in a meat eater like cichlid and not as much in goldfish? I know there's stuff in the others not in the Omega that maybe nice to also have? There for mixing 2 would be better? Also if 2 of the 3 what 2?

Red would be what I believe is bad about the foods is there anything red you don't think is bad or anything in black that you would say is bad to have in goldfish food?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    Omega One

Ingredients:
    Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Min. Crude Protein….33%
    Min. Crude Fat……….8%
    Max. Crude Fiber…….2%
    Max. Moisture….…. 8.5%
    Max. Ash……………...8%
    Min. Phosphorus.....(0.5%)
    Min. Omega 3 …….... 1%
    Min. Omega 6….....(0.5%)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    New Life Spectrum

Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Alfalfa, Scallops, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Spinosum Seaweed, Wakame Seaweed, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, and Manganese Sulfate.
    [TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"] Guaranteed Analysis[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Protein[/TD]
    [TD] 36.0% min[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Fat[/TD]
    [TD] 5.0% min[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Fiber[/TD]
    [TD] 6.0% max[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Moisture[/TD]
    [TD] 10.0% max[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Ash[/TD]
    [TD] 8.0% max[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Vitamin A[/TD]
    [TD] 8000 IU/KG min[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Vitamin D[/TD]
    [TD] 2500 IU/KG min[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Vitamin E[/TD]
    [TD] 200 IU/KG min[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Ingredients
    Salmon Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Starch, Freeze Dried Plankton, Freeze Dried Krill, Dried Spirulina, Dried Kelp, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Dried Brine Shrimp, Beta-Glucan, Spray Dried Egg, Garlic Powder, Earthworm Powder, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, D1 Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, D-Biotin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Methionine and Natural Coloring.
    [TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"] Guaranteed Analysis[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Protein[/TD]
    [TD] 43.0% min.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Fat[/TD]
    [TD] 10.0% min.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Crude Fiber[/TD]
    [TD] 4.0% min.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Phosphorus[/TD]
    [TD] 1.0%, min.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Moisture[/TD]
    [TD] 5.0% max.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Microorganisms[/TD]
    [TD] 1,000,000 CFU/g min.
    at time of manufacture[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  17. LiterallyHydro

I wouldn't use the Cobalt food, but the choice ingredients in it is pretty interesting. I may have to do some further research on their food..

18. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm, mine's not goldfish-specific Omega One, so maybe that's why it has more fish/inverts in it? In that case, maybe the NLS would be better.

19. Dom90

You hit it pretty spot-on, all those ingredients in red are bad, known as "fillers", like you would see "corn gluten meal", "meat and bone meal", etc in dog food. Usually you'll want to see stuff like kelp, spirulina, garlic, etc... Goldfish are herbivores so they need a lot of vegetable and not as much protein. You should try to feed whole cooked vegetable I think, can someone else comment on this?

20. OP
    OP
    yasha

I know raw vegetables like kelp and lettuce is good for them.
    Spiruline is really only in the cobalt but cobalt also makes pure spiruline flakes I could just add. NLS has more seaweed also spiruline and garlic and cobalt more krill kelp and spiruline.
    Omega one is mostly fish and vitamins.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice