Which food is best for african cichlid? Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

2. WolfaraRose Member Member

I would go with the hikari brand.

3. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with the omega one cichlid pellets

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I use New Life Spectrum, and I HIGHLY recommend it. I've never had any problems with bloat, and my Africans go NUTS for it! Its all natural, made from krill, and doesn't cloud up the water too bad. Even if you have bigger African cichlids they will love it! All my fish have grown quite a bit since I switched from Hikari, and colored up a little better too!

They absolutely love it!! It is a little bit more expensive than other brands, but after I switched they quit spitting out pellets and eating them again.

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I noticed my cichlids will spit them back out and then eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

NLS?? Maybe my fish are just less picky or liked a change from Hikari. I only feed them NLS now and they are healthier and more active than ever. But I know how fish are, they have completely different tastes and personalities!

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

No no. I feed them API pellets right now. Maybe you can tell me if this jacks aquarium and pets pellets sound good.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406075317.825209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406075350.946034.jpg

This stuff cost me basically 3 dollars an oz.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

That is not to bad of a price, but usually with African Cichlids you want to try to find foods that have less than 40% crude protein. It is a lot easier on their sensitive tummies and you won't have to worry about them bloating as much!

If your Africans like it, keep using it! I just like my NLS! Really noticed a difference in their color, size, and energy after I switch to NLS.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I may stop using the API and give the jacks pellets 2 weeks and then maybe give NLS a try?

Couldn't help myself and tried the jack pellets. The cichlids didn't seem to care for them :( and that is saying a lot considering it's the first thing they had to eat today....

10. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes its always frustrating when they won't eat when you buy them new food. I'd try supplementing their food a couple times a week with the jack's pellets you purchased. They may just not like the change and need to get used to it.

Don't worry if you fish don't eat that day, they can go a week or two without eating at all.