which fish?

jj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newby. I have purchased a 15/16 gal tank. I am going to have a freshwater community set up. Been reading and studying this hobby for weeks and am now ready to get myself sorted. I have driftwood soaking, and some rocks.
My problem is which fish to purchase. Every time I decide I find that they either grow two big, or are saltwater, or too aggressive. As I said....have been doing a lot of reading, but I find so many different opinions make you reassess all the time. So can someone with an established tank around the same size please let me know their combo, and if it works well. I'm hoping for a peaceful setup but wouldn't mind a bit of fun as well! :-\ Thanks for any advice.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i've got a 10 gallon setup right now while my 20 is cycling, but my inhabitants are 3 red tail calico platies, 2 cherry barbs, 2 pink tetras, 1 oto cat, and 1 red tail shark, the shark will chase the platies every now and again but doesn't harm them or nip at them, i was going for the same thing you are, fast, fun fish, and so far they haven't disappointed, when i move them to my bigger tank, i plan on a dwarf gourami or two

Puppypower

Reaction score
Hey

I reckon get community fish like gouramis, sliver/bala sharks. Provides a little action without death

Or go for passive fish, like discuss, platies, guppies, tetras, barbs.

Marty

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most Gouramis, all sharks, and Discus get much too big for a 15.
Some smaller fish you might like to try:
Tetras
Barbs
Danios
Guppies
Platys
Mollies
Cories
Otos
Betta
etc.
If there's anything in particular you like we can tell you if they'd work and what other fish could go with them.
Meanwhile, are you familiar with the process of fishless cycling? Also if you haven't already done so check out the Fishlore Articles for Beginners, I believe the post (stickied) is called.

jj

Reaction score
Thank you. I don't want sharks, I dont like agressive fish. I do like guppies and did want to have them, however was told they need brackish water? The others that you mentioned are all fine to me.
Yes very good article on cycling. I printed it off.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nope, guppies will do perfectly fine in a tropical aquarium, danios are also good and some are really pretty, you get long finned ones too, maybe guppies, danios, an oto and or some cory cats? they all get along, the danios start chasing eachother sometimes to create a pecking order, they actually quite cute!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah Guppies aren't brackish. Good tank idea kerryve, although I'd say a few Otos or some Cories since Otos are technically shoalers and need some company.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
Yeah Guppies aren't brackish.  Good tank idea kerryve, although I'd say a few Otos or some Cories since Otos are technically shoalers and need some company.
Thanks! I didnt know otos are shoaling fish!!! cool, but i cant seem to get hold of them here so i havent researched them as much.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom