Which fish would you get?

Which fish would you get?

• Total voters
jkkgron2
Title basically says it all. I’m having a really tough time deciding between getting 6 Humpbacked Limia, 2 pairs of Tamazula Redtail Splitfins, or 5+ Red Chest Endlers for my 13.5 gallon. I’m curious what other people think of the three species I’m looking at getting and which would be best for my tank.

StinkyLoaf
I want to say the endlers because they’re the only one of the three choices I have experience in and they look pleasing. Livebearers get very diverse and all I know about goodeids is that they love to have lots of algae (I and most hobbyists don’t)!

betta06
I like the red chest endlers the best but my second pick would be humpbacked limia

StinkyLoaf
betta06 said:
I like the red chest endlers the best but my second pick would be humpbacked limia
My second pick would be the splitfin. They’re quite chubby.

AggressiveAquatics
humpbacked limia is what I would get

ChrissFishes01
I've got some Humpbacked Limia. They're beautiful fish! Not a ton of color but the scale pattern and shimmer is amazing.

Limia 3-8.JPG

Male Limia.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

Limia Nigrofasciata 3-3 3.JPG

jkkgron2
HarrisonAquatics said:
I've got some Humpbacked Limia. They're beautiful fish! Not a ton of color but the scale pattern and shimmer is amazing.

Limia 3-8.JPG

Male Limia.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

Limia Nigrofasciata 3-3 3.JPG
Wow, that scale pattern looks great! They’ll look awesome with the plants and hard scape I have!

I think I’ll go for the Humpback Limias but if I can’t get them I’ll get the endlers. Are the Limias hardy?

ChrissFishes01
jkkgron2 said:
Wow, that scale pattern looks great! They’ll look awesome with the plants and hard scape I have!

I think I’ll go for the Humpback Limias but if I can’t get them I’ll get the endlers. Are the Limias hardy?
They are! I actually keep them in a lightly brackish tank, but they do well in freshwater too. I've not had them for long, but from the research I've done and (limited) experience I have with them, they're very similar to platies in terms of water conditions, care, and temperament.

I have a trio. The male has been peaceful, except for whenever I first added my bumblebee gobies. I think that maybe the similar stripe pattern on the gobies caused him to get territorial, as he chased them around for a couple hours. He's stopped, and other than that, they've been a perfect fit for the tank. I think they'd thrive in most tanks, if I'm being honest!

jkkgron2
HarrisonAquatics said:
They are! I actually keep them in a lightly brackish tank, but they do well in freshwater too. I've not had them for long, but from the research I've done and (limited) experience I have with them, they're very similar to platies in terms of water conditions, care, and temperament.

I have a trio. The male has been peaceful, except for whenever I first added my bumblebee gobies. I think that maybe the similar stripe pattern on the gobies caused him to get territorial, as he chased them around for a couple hours. He's stopped, and other than that, they've been a perfect fit for the tank. I think they'd thrive in most tanks, if I'm being honest!
They sound great! I’ll definitely try to get them. Hopefully I’m able to get more females than males.

ChrissFishes01
jkkgron2 said:
They sound great! I’ll definitely try to get them. Hopefully I’m able to get more females than males.
They're available wholesale, apparently. That's where my LFS got them.

JLAquatics
I voted for the Endlers. I bet your tank would look great with them if you can't get that other fish you want! Those Humpback Limias look great though, never heard of them before.

StinkyLoaf
Nobody gonna give any love to the splitfin?

emeraldking
I couldn't make a choice between all three of them. I've kept them all for years. They all have got their charm, to be honest.

The male Limia nigrofasciata shown in the picture seems young. For a fullgrown male would have a hump.

DSCF7632.JPG

DSCF8741.JPG

ChrissFishes01
emeraldking said:
I couldn't make a choice between all three of them. I've kept them all for years. They all have got their charm, to be honest.

The male Limia nigrofasciata shown in the picture seems young. For a fullgrown male would have a hump.

DSCF7632.JPG

DSCF8741.JPG
I'm sure they are young! I've not had them long.

jkkgron2
emeraldking said:

DSCF7632.JPG

DSCF8741.JPG
Do the N class endlers act different than the endler guppy hybrids? So far I think I’ll get the Limias, but they’re also 3x the price of the endlers so I might change my mind.

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
Do the N class endlers act different than the endler guppy hybrids? So far I think I’ll get the Limias, but they’re also 3x the price of the endlers so I might change my mind.
In general, there's hardly a difference between N-class and K-class endlers. But the thing with K-class endlers is that they may have more guppy influence or endler influence in behavior. But most have the endler behavior. But with hybrids it always remains a matter of time to notice which part is stronger, guppy or endler behavior?

jkkgron2
I might get a mix of endlers and the humpbacked Limias. They can’t cross breed, right?

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
I might get a mix of endlers and the humpbacked Limias. They can’t cross breed, right?
Limias are related to mollies. They can crossbreed but if you'll keep both genders of both species in one tank, no crossbreeding will happen no matter how often a male is chasing a female of the other species. For in that case, those females prefer to mate with a male of their own kind. For you need to know that it's the female that will decide wether she allows a male to mate with her or not (no matter the frequent chasing).

AverageAquarist22
I personally liked the splitfin best, but the other two were stunning as well! I’m sure it‘ll look great, whatever you end up choosing

jkkgron2
I decided I’m going to get the endlers! Not sure how many I’ll get, but I’ll at least get five, probably more.

jkkgron2
jkkgron2 said:
I decided I’m going to get the endlers! Not sure how many I’ll get, but I’ll at least get five, probably more.
Never mind.. not getting the endlers. Turns out the place I’m going to get them from is out of stock, so redtail splitfins it is!

jkkgron2
What temp should I keep the Redtail splitfins in? I was thinking 75°F, but some websites are saying that’s not cold enough.

chromedome52
I kept Red Tail Goodeids when we thought they were all one species, so no clue exactly which one I bred. 75 worked fine back then (late 70s). 13.5 gallon tank seems small, but should work at least through the first couple of spawns. I can't find any images of the ones I had

I had Endler's when there actually was only one strain, the first one collected/distributed in the hobby. Most ichthyologists of the time considered them nothing more than another Guppy population. They were so prolific folks in the local club called them "Endless Livebearers".

Poecilia wingei 95.JPG

Not too long ago, I was virtually out of fish, though not to the point of complete shutdown as I am now. A friend had a small group of Humpback Limias with a single female, and I put those into a 125 gallon tank with a big bunch of Guppy Grass. A year and a half later, I had hundreds of them, all descended from that one female.

Limia nigrofasciata m001.JPG

Strain kept going for a few more years, but I ended up with a batch of all females in a pool. I would not keep this species in a 13.5 gallon tank, as they can get bigger than you usually see them. A small tank like that will stunt them.

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
What temp should I keep the Redtail splitfins in? I was thinking 75°F, but some websites are saying that’s not cold enough.
These splitfins you've mentioned can be kept between 59°F - 75°F best. They can withstand higher temps but not continueously. Best is to give them also a period of rest for a few months by keeping them between 54°F - 64°F.

jkkgron2
emeraldking said:
These splitfins you've mentioned can be kept between 59°F - 75°F best. They can withstand hogher temps but not continueously. Best is to give them also a period of rest for a few months by keeping them between 54°F - 64°F.
Looks like the place I’m getting them from keeps them in 68°F, so I’ll keep them at that for most of the year and lower it to 64°F for 3 months in winter. Does that sound good?

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
Looks like the place I’m getting them from keeps them in 68°F, so I’ll keep them at that for most of the year and lower it to 64°F for 3 months in winter. Does that sound good?
That should work fine...

jkkgron2
Ok I got the fish! They look great, and are already eating. Two are larger than I expected, and the other two are smaller and more what I expected. They all look great!

Here’s a pic of one after 20 minutes of being in the tank.

81957C55-B302-4504-878F-1BA33ADB9688.jpeg

jkkgron2
Will the Redtail splitfins crossbreed with Zoogoneticus tequila?

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
Will the Redtail splitfins crossbreed with Zoogoneticus tequila?
Technically, they can, sdespite of the fact that they're two different genera. But if you keep both sexes of both species in one tank, the cahnce that they'll crossbreed is almost zero.

My Xenotoca doadrioi (formely known as Xenotoca eisini, San Marcos) are combined with Ataeniobius toweri. And my Zoogoneticus tequila are combined with Skiffia multipunctata. And no crossbreedings thusfar. And they are compatible in behavior.

jkkgron2
emeraldking said:
Technically, they can, sdespite of the fact that they're two different genera. But if you keep both sexes of both species in one tank, the cahnce that they'll crossbreed is almost zero.

My Xenotoca doadrioi (formely known as Xenotoca eisini, San Marcos) are combined with Ataeniobius toweri. And my Zoogoneticus tequila are combined with Skiffia multipunctata. And no crossbreedings thusfar. And they are compatible in behavior.
Thanks! Sounds like they’re a good option then.

I was also looking at getting some Ameca splendens as tankmates, but since those can be aggressive I don’t think I could have them.

emeraldking
jkkgron2 said:
Thanks! Sounds like they’re a good option then.

I was also looking at getting some Ameca splendens as tankmates, but since those can be aggressive I don’t think I could have them.
I've got Ameca splendens (butterfly splitfin) as well. But yes, they can be real jerks...

jkkgron2
Ok so I’m going to be trying to get either some blackbarred tiger Limias, or some more Tamazula Redtail splitfins. I really like the looks of the Limias, but I also think getting more of the Redtail splitfins would be great. Thoughts?

Edit: If I get the Limias then once they need more space they’ll be moved to a larger tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom