Which Fish To Stock First?

Betta02

HI again! Question: I have a 35 gallon hex tank that has a few smaller fish in it. This tank has been moved twice in the last month or so due to a renovation. Each time I put my fish in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone while I emptied and moved the tank. This last time they got pretty stressed, and it's taken them over a week to color up again, seem now to be okay.
My 65 gallon, where they will be moving to, should be cycled in the next week or so I'm guessing. I'm not sure I want to move these guys again, as every time I have to move them it's harder for them to recover.
Should I go ahead and purchase some of my new fish and add them to the aquarium before moving the existing fish over to give them some time to settle in again, be more ready for another move? Or, should I feed my tank ammonia until the existing fish are ready to move again and then add new fish?

AquaticQueen

65 gallon, ooh la la. Maybe that's just me because I'm waiting to get a 20 gallon and compared to my 10 gallon, that's huge.
To answer the question maybe wait a bit for them to settle. Too much stress will kill them.

Drakon

Betta02 said:
HI again! Question: I have a 35 gallon hex tank that has a few smaller fish in it. This tank has been moved twice in the last month or so due to a renovation. Each time I put my fish in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone while I emptied and moved the tank. This last time they got pretty stressed, and it's taken them over a week to color up again, seem now to be okay.
My 65 gallon, where they will be moving to, should be cycled in the next week or so I'm guessing. I'm not sure I want to move these guys again, as every time I have to move them it's harder for them to recover.
Should I go ahead and purchase some of my new fish and add them to the aquarium before moving the existing fish over to give them some time to settle in again, be more ready for another move? Or, should I feed my tank ammonia until the existing fish are ready to move again and then add new fish?

How long ago was the last time you moved them?

Betta02

Drakon said:
How long ago was the last time you moved them?
About a week ago. I don't see my new tank being cycled for at least another week.

Drakon

Betta02 said:
About a week ago. I don't see my new tank being cycled for at least another week.
I personally wouldn’t worry about moving them again if the tank takes a week or more to complete cycling, if it’s suddenly ready in less then a week then it might be wise to hold back and get the new fish first.

On the other hand, it would be beneficial to add the new fish to the tank first as you can give hyphen somewhat of a quarantine period to ensure they are healthy and don’t infect your current fish.

Betta02

Drakon said:
I personally wouldn’t worry about moving them again if the tank takes a week or more to complete cycling, if it’s suddenly ready in less then a week then it might be wise to hold back and get the new fish first.

On the other hand, it would be beneficial to add the new fish to the tank first as you can give hyphen somewhat of a quarantine period to ensure they are healthy and don’t infect your current fish.
The quarantine thing did cross my mind. I don't currently have a QT.

sfsamm

I'd move the existing fish. A move to a new 65g tank versus a stint in a 5 gallon bucket is considerably less stressful as they'll immediately be able to find somewhere to hide out rather than being cramped in a tiny space with all their friends and enemies with no where to go.

Latest threads

Top Bottom