Which fish to breed?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the perspective of someone who has wholesale accounts for purchasing fish (I'm starting a LFS), trust me, they are not only very cheap but readily available from many wholesalers. The shops in your area are either sold out of them, or just aren't ordering them.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
True I can get 2" firemouths for $2.99, and F1's for $4.99.

Ask a shop to order some, they are not hard to come by.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exactly, you'd need a way to get rid of the fry....
FMs and cons are so cheap and so readily available, you're not going to be able to sell any fry. The LFSs can get these fish so cheap from the wholesalers that it isn't worth it to buy fry from a hobbyist.
I've even read a few forum threads about people using cons for feeders...

My main goal with this is to hopefully introduce some more rare species into this area, there isn't much selection here in that regard, and also help cover some expenses by selling them off. I don't really expect to make much of anything but I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of fish that no one wants (or only wants to feed to something else)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apistos, some of the rarer color variations (blue wag platys, black swordtails, koi swordtails, red-eye swordtails) of livebearers, any species that's not readily available in your area will be a good start. I also vote for some of the more difficult to find color variations of danio.

I hope this helps.
I'm already starting on the danio angle, not really variations but rather different rare species. there are several species that didn't get released to the western world until a few years ago, so the market for them is still forming.

I'm trying to stay away from livebearers, at least until I learn a little more about genetics and selective breeding anyhow. There seems to be a ready supply of platys here because the big LFS here had 4 or 5 tanks of different types lol. The LFS does have a few rare fish(i say rare, but really I just don't know what they are off the top of my head), but I don't really know a whole lot about cichlids. What really discouraged me from going that route was that the rare fish that they do sell don't really seem appealing. If they wouldn't have told me they had CPDs (labeled as galaxy rasbora) I wouldve thought that they were just feeders in there for the larger fish swimming in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom