Which fish to breed?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since I recently acquired several 40g breeder tanks, I figure I should start planning out what I should breed. Any suggestions? I'm already wanting to do some of the rarer danio species, peacock gudgeons, and possibly some selective livebearer breeding. Also thinking about doing german rams. I didn't expect to have tanks of this size so I think it does open up a few more possibilities of larger fish. Opinions are welcome

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hrm, seems like you have a lot of ideas already! I'm going to try to spawn my cory cats soon, I have four that I got about 2 years ago that I've been wanting to try, but I have to get another spawning tank set up for them to try it. Try cories.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Congrats on the new tank

Personally, breeding fancy guppies would be nice!

Maybe some convicts?

im not sure about the danios, but generally smaller fish are harder to breed. Especially if they are rare!

But please don't let that stop you, if youre up for the challenge

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well the thing about the CPDs is that i dont particularly need a 40g tank for them, they breed well in a 5g lol. Hopefully Dennis will chime in at some point because he has a vast amount of experience with them. I have 20g longs also that will probably be better suited for the smaller species, unless I had hundreds and hundreds in there of course.
Angelfish are awesome, but in that particular realm I have little knowledge of what is the most desirable, personally I like the superwhite angels but I see others who like the marbles and whatnot. So the crux is understanding what people want.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CPDs... ahhhhhh ok!

I think that would be a great project to do!

yeah, dennis is the expert on them! But there are others around the forum that have them too and (might!) have attempted breeding them...

but with a that tank, I couldn't resist larger fish like as shawnie said (firemouths are pretty!)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i've never been impressed with firemouths. I grew up on the bay, we have a perch like fish here that we call pinfish, and alot of the cichlids remind me of them lol. I need some convincing, so far I've only been wowed by shelldwellers and rams lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ever since I read about them, Ameca Splendens have been my personal choice of livebearer to breed. Not only are they gorgeous, but they're rare and by some accounts actually extinct in the wild so without aquarists these beautiful fish would be gone forever. Plus they have relatively small broods and don't store sperm like other livebearers.

-Lisa

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ever since I read about them, Ameca Splendens have been my personal choice of livebearer to breed. Not only are they gorgeous, but they're rare and by some accounts actually extinct in the wild so without aquarists these beautiful fish would be gone forever. Plus they have relatively small broods and don't store sperm like other livebearers.

-Lisa

I agree these are totatly cool fish to breed i have some myself and they are very pretty.

For other fish i suggest cocktoos ABN or some other type of rare livebearer
Chris

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there's a vendor over on aquariacentral that has splendens for sale, iirc. If I pick a livebearer i'll probably start with a pure strain of endlers, I've yet to see any in the local LFS (there's about 6 or 7 LFS here)

If you are talking about cockatoo cichlids, I saw some pics and they are really pretty, definite option there. ABN = albino bristlenose? just a stab there, i'm not a pleco person so not likely, if anything I may go with panda corys just for the cuteness factor, can you imagine 500 panda babies going after an algae wafer?

I did happen to see some celebes halfbeaks in a LFS yesterday, tempting for a rare livebearer for sure, although I don't know what kind of market they would fetch, or know much about them apart from looking alot like needlefish.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You wouldn't need a 40BR to try them, but Apistogramma are really cool fish and are usually much harder to come by than rams (which can be a bad thing if you can't find them, but a good thing if you're the only one around that has them). I'm currently keeping 5 species of apistos and have gotten a couple species breeding so far.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kribensis are really pretty small cichlids. Not much to breeding them either, they're like convicts, male and female pair and wham you got a million babies.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kribensis are really pretty small cichlids. Not much to breeding them either, they're like convicts, male and female pair and wham you got a million babies.
Pretty much true Their gorgeous little fish too.
Carol

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey jetajockey that's fantastic you got the tanks! When you start spawning fish you can never have too many....

I've found that I usually need 3 tanks for each species of danio I'm working with.

1. The tank that the breed stock normally live in.
2. The tank used for actual spawning - also houses eggs & new born fry.
3. One or more grow-out tanks for fry - I like to keep spawns separate.

With cichlids and livebearers, you can sometimes use one tank for all three functions.

A lot depends on what your breeding ambitions are. If you are just looking to raise a few fry then your set-ups will be different than if you want maximum fry production.

The main thing is to have fun! Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

Dennis

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try convicts! They're really interesting fish but you must have a way to get rid of the fry. (Donate them to LFS or trade them for fish food) Oh but they would have that whole tank to their selves. You could try Firemouths! Which I am currently trying but I can't do that with only one fish

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exactly, you'd need a way to get rid of the fry....
FMs and cons are so cheap and so readily available, you're not going to be able to sell any fry. The LFSs can get these fish so cheap from the wholesalers that it isn't worth it to buy fry from a hobbyist.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Apistos, some of the rarer color variations (blue wag platys, black swordtails, koi swordtails, red-eye swordtails) of livebearers, any species that's not readily available in your area will be a good start. I also vote for some of the more difficult to find color variations of danio.

I hope this helps.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom