Which fish to add?

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I'd really just like a little help in deciding which fish will be added to my tank :)

I've wanted a few kinds of fish and as far as I can tell, they're all compatible. I have a 55g tank and am going for a live plants/rock caves set up.

Firstly, I really liked how Angelfish looked! They have a unique shape for freshwater fish and they come in many variaties.
    Another fish would be a Blue/Opaline Gourami. I love how they look and my friend has one and loves it!
    Another fish would be a pair of Bala Sharks. They get to be fairly large and look great!
    I was also thinking about a Rainbow Shark. I love their colors and someone I know that has one loves the one they have.
    I am also almost definitely getting a Bristlenose Catfish as a bottom feeder/algae eater. Maybe getting more than one. (I have no knowledge of these to be honest)
    I was also considering getting some Clown Loach in a few months (I want a VERY stable tank)

Are there any other fish I should get that I haven't named?

I already have 6 cherry barbs and 6 zebra danios.
    What do you all think I should get? I'd really like some opinions which would greatly help me decide :)

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

first of all your future wish tank is NOT compatible bala sharks can get over a foot so those are out of the question same with clown loaches - as far as i am aware of bristlenoses are better algae eaters than bottom feeders so i would suggest two of those then get 5-6 cory catfishes of the same kind- as for the gourami and rainbow shark i will have to get bak to you on that or let somebody else anwer that for i dont know - do you have any tank pictures of what you have right now? ill get back to you on barbs and danios with cories

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, from what I can tell, most Bala Sharks in captivity don't go much past 8". Clown loaches would take a long enough time to mature so I could get a larger tank, too :)

I kinda want to shy away from cory cats. They're too small and I really want to go for more bigger fish :)

4. Maida_gc Member Member

Is your tank cycled or are you doing that now? When I was cycling I spent that time learning what fish I wanted, how big they would get, what was compatible, and really had fun doing it and learning it - I changed a million times until I was happy in my head. Sounds like you are where I was 3 weeks ago. Keep at it. It will be an interesting busy mix you have wanting active bigger (aggressive fish) keep lots of hiding spaces for your Guarami's (floating plants are great) Bristlenoses will be good, and you can get 2/3 - just be careful buying them too small if you already have big mean fish in there.

My reco after quickly reading you post is since you want the sharks, loaches, barbs etc. I would lose the guaramis. But 55 is a decent size to perhaps do both as you wish.

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, after talking to a few other people, I've decided on this:
    -2 Angelfish (hopefully blue koi)
    -2 Bristlenose Catfish
    -6 Ram Cichlids
    -6 Cherry Barbs
    -6 Zebra Danios

Anything wrong with that? Only thing I'm not sure of is the aggresiveness of the angels.

6. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

I heard that angels are only aggressive during spawning. but I'm not 100% sure. zebra danios sounds good, the bristlenoses should be fine. thought I'm not sure about the rams or Cherry barbs. hope that helps

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I know for a fact that the Cherry Barbs are really peaceful. And both the websites I've checked and someone at a nearby pet store (very knowledgeable) have said that Rams are VERY peaceful.

8. Maida_gc Member Member

Really look into the rams and do some research, they may require some added attention. Other than that good luck.

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Sounds ok ;) maybe you should go one bristlenose and get a few corys

10. beccaboo254 Initiate Member

Even if you don't LIKE small cories, you'll need something to clean the bottom of your tank. Maybe look into some med. sized ones?

11. Marc Well Known Member Member

Hence the bristlenose :)

I just don't like how cory cats look and I'm going with a wood/rock themed tank so the bristlenose will both have a chunk of wood to sleep on. Grr, I just can't stand corycats for some reason :)

12. beccaboo254 Initiate Member

Most algae eaters aren't always the best tank cleaners....what about some Dwarf Frogs? I really don't know much about them, but they MIGHT work. Or maybe a Columbian Shark, although they get fairly large.

13. Marc Well Known Member Member

Broke down and got some corycats... nobody near me sells Bristlenose catfish so I'll have to make do with the 5 albino cory cats I bought for now :)

I also bought 2 angelfish, one mostly black and slight speckled silver, another a marbled with yellow little fin barb things :)

They only had four rams in stock and they were overpriced so I'm going to see if I can't get them somewhere else first.

14. Maida_gc Member Member

Keep an eye out for the bristlenose, but If your cats are anything like mine you'll be glad you got them in no time. They are a blast to watch. Pictures would be great!