Which fish to add first?

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I'm getting black mollies, female bettas, and cory cats fo my 10-gallon tank (yes--I finally decided! :D) Once the tank's ready, would it be better to get the mollies or the cories first? I've heard they're both pretty hardy.

2. FishFan Member Member

You can get them in any order, but I know Mollies like to be in schools and also, if you have Mollies, you need to add a bit of aquarium salt, which will not bother your other choices. How many total of each do you plan on adding? You could add, say, 4 Mollies, 2 Female Bettas and 2 Corys. I have a 55 gallon tank, so I know I can add 6 additions per week, but I am not sure with a 10 gallon tank. Maybe 2-3. Best to you & your new FishFriends :)

3. Craig Well Known Member Member

i would get 2 every 2weeks thats what i've started doin it sort of drags out the excitment of completing your tank but its totally up 2 urself

4. fletch Member Member

Put the corys in first. very hardy and also will make lots of mess to start with and then stir it all up. this will make a nice home in the filter for your bacteria

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

FishFan, and everyone else too, thanks for the advise. I was originally planning to get 2 Mollies, 2 Bettas, and 3 Cories. I've heard that Cories like to be in groups of at least three. However, I'm looking into a smaller type of Cory (any suggestions?) so I'll try to get 3 or 4 Mollies--I want my fishies to be happy, but I don't want to get too over crowded. I'd already added 2 teaspoons of salt before I even decided on Mollies, but do you think the Bettas would mind if I added a bit more?

6. FishFan Member Member

You're very welcome :) Also-I have a smaller type Cory. They are, I think, Turquoise or something like that. They have a bluish tint to their sides. I cannot remember their exact names, but I know those albino cories are little. Also, I didn't know that Cories like to be in groups of 3 or more  ??? I have 2 together & yeah, they always hang together and nuzzle up to each other-they appear to just be SO sweet!

7. fletch Member Member

most corydoras species will grow to 3 inches. this is the smallest that they officially get. I have 2 male peppered corys and 3 female and the males are only an inch and a half where the females are 3 inches. they are all the same age.

8. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard that Dwarf/Pygmy Cories only get to be 1 inch long, although they're unusual because they're not scavengers--they swim in the middle of the tank. Also, a couple types are only 2 inches. I think I'm going to get Panda Cories--one book says thay're only 1.8 inches, although I suspect they get a bit bigger than that, but they're the smallest "regular" Cory I can find. I think lots of poeple keep only 1 or 2 Cories, but they do like to live in bigger shoals, and to breed them you need 2 males and 1 female. Don't tell my parents ;), but I'm going to try to get 2 m. & 1 f. in case I want to breed them some day ;D Can you tell I stayed up to 3 o'clock reading last night?? ;D ;D (ssshhhh, don't tell! ;) ;))

9. FishFan Member Member

I looked at fish supplier website and it said my coryies were Emerald. Sorry about the wrong name. I got both of mine at the same time and one is only a tiny bit bigger. I have no idea how to sex them. Does anyone?

10. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Sexing Cories can be hard. In full-grown ones of the same age, the females are a bit plumper when seen from above. Also, in some species (I don't know which ones), males have more pointed anal fins, while the females have larger, fan-shaped ones--it has something to do with reproduction. I changed my mind again--I decided to get Platies instead of Mollies, since their water preferances are closer to those of Bettas & Cories, and because I want some color in my tank. (I'm going to take most of the salt out of the tank.) Any tips on Platies? I'm planning to get 1 m. & 2 f. Platies as soon as my tank's cycled, then get 1 m. & 2 f. Panda Cories about 2 weeks later, and finally 2 weeks after that get 2 f. Bettas. Does that sound O.K.? Unless there's any problems with it, this is my final decision! I hope. Also, I need some tips on substrate, since I know Cories like to dig. Can you buy very fine gravel at fish stores, or should I use sand? If so, where can I buy fish-safe sand, and in small amounts? Risht now I just have very coarse gravel, but I'm afraid it will hurt the Cories' little whisker thingys.

11. FishFan Member Member

I have coarse gravel and large stones. My cories seem to like the larger substrate because the granule food tends to be easier to find. I think it's really a personal preference. Seeing is how my Plecos & snails dig up all my fake plants!!! Lil'Buggars. I've not had Platies yet, so you'll have to wait for someone else to help, but what I do know is that they are really hearty fishies ;) Also-I don't see why you'd have to remove the salt. When you do a partial water change, most will come out. I wouldn't worry abou it.

12. fletch Member Member

also look at the dorsal fin. If you have a few corys you may be able to compare how pointed each of them are. my females are fatter larger and bizzarly orange!!!?

13. FishFan Member Member

I have 2 Emerald Cories. They're so cuddly towards each other. It's cute. I don't care what sex they are, they're enjoyable just the same ;)

14. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I am assuming you know about cycling a tank.  If you don't here is a great article to help you out.  It sounds like you are going to cycle your tank with fish.  This is the way I started in the hobby, but many folks think it's cruel and prefer to do a fishless cycle.  If you choose to cycle with fish, I would start with the platies and get a good master test kit like the one Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes.  You are going to have to do a lot of testing during cycling to make sure your fish don't suffer and die from ammonia or nitrite toxicity.  I would not add any more fish after the platies to the tank until it was cycled, and the corys would be the last ones I would add.   

I have my corys in a tank with regular gravel and have never had a problem.  I have read a lot that sand is preferred, but mine seem to be okay.  If you decide to change to sand, I have read that regular play sand you can get at Lowe's or any home improvement store is fine and it's very inexpensive. 

15. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, I'm not using fish to cycle my tank--I agree that it's cruel.  When I said 'once it's ready', I meant 'once it's cycled.'  I'm cycling it with fish food.  I think I'll try to get some sand, because I've heard that very rough gravel (which mine is) can erode away their barbels, which leaves them unable to breed since the males use them to stimulate the females.  Thanks for the input, Gunnie. Oh, one more question. Two of my books say that male Platies are 1.5 in. and females are 2.5 in. However, another book says they're 4 and 4.5 in., the same as Swordtails! Am I correct to assume that he third book is incorredt?