Which Fish To Add Dilemma

1. kabellem

kabellem Valued Member Member

Hi - I have finally cycled my 10 gallon tank, Parameters Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10. Ph 8.2. I have not tested Kh, Gh but I would guess they are high due to the amount of lime scale that builds up in my tank regularly. Marineland bio wheel 75 filter modded with additional aquaclear sponge and an intake sponge. I will have a 10 gallon quarantine tank cycled ready to go when I get new fish. I currently have 3 male guppies. Anyway, I have extensively researched and read over stocking lists and other threads, but I am having a hard time deciding which fish or any I am able to add. The only thing I know I want for sure is 5 Amano Shrimp.

I would like to get a small school of other fish, but my tank is not heavily planted - I have a grouping of 6 artificial plants. I also have a gravel substrate.

So my favorite I would like to add is ember tetras, but I fear my Ph is too high.
    I also like Celestial Pearl Danios, but I am afraid they will be too delicate and shy.
    Other ideas include chili or emerald dwarf rasboras, but I fear again that they will need more plants.

I am not ready to change over to a true planted tank, could adding more artificial plants work?

Thanks for any input - what do you think would be my best bet? I am open to other suggestions too.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

CPD, chili rasboras or emerald rasboras would be ok in that tank but they all should be kept in groups of 8 or more and I think that would overstock your tank with 3 guppies. Instead I would go with 3 Asian stone catfish or 2 peacock gobies.

3. OP
    OP
    kabellem

Oh, the peacock gobies look nice...what about my lack of plants and high Ph? Are these rarer fish?

Anyone else want to chime in?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have my peacock gudgeons in a pH of 8, they are fine. I also only have one plant in that tank.

5. OP
    OP
    kabellem

That's great! They sure are pretty fish, so 2 of those are my plan!

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I've had a group of ember tetras for about a year now - my pH is 8.1!