Which Fish Should I add

ixxkepxxi

Reaction score
So after reading reviews from my last post, I have decided to upgrade to a 20 Gallon. I have 1 Female Betta at the moment. Which fish do you guys recommend me adding? I was also thinking about adding a couple live plants.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm not a Betta person, but you may want to try a male betta. I stand to be corrected :).
EDITED:: I have been corrected :D :arghh:

Then, just about any peaceful community fish but do your research, and avoid any fin nippers.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you already have a Betta and you want to keep it with the community, you might be okay, might not. I dont usually start a community tank with a Betta as they can be territorial when adding new fish. For the most part, Ive never had a Betta in a community tank that caused trouble though, so take that for what you will. And Ive been keeping Bettas for over 30 years and had well over a hundred Bettas (probably hundreds). Currently have 9, 4 in community tanks.

One thing that's tricky is picking fish that are temp compatible. The majority of problems I see people having with Bettas are either due to water quality or keeping them in water that's too cold. I have found that my Bettas live longer and healthier lives at 80/82 degrees. That means I cant/dont keep them with 2 of the more popular fish in the trade: Neons and Guppies. My son has kept Guppies & Bettas together a few times, but it makes the Guppies metabolism rise which makes them eat more, poop more, makes them more active and cuts their lives short. If you dont mind losing Guppies around one and a half years old, go for it.

Lately my sons been keeping 2 - 20 gallon community tanks with Bettas: 1 has a Crown Tail female Betta, 15 Harlequin Rasboras and 8 Kuhlis Loaches (tank temp is 82) and the other tank has a Plakat Female Betta, 15 Cardinal Tetras and 12 SterbaI Corys (temp is 80). Both tanks have been running 2-3 years and going well.

feeshi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your options are huge but in a 20 gallon I'd avoid other bettas, gouramis and, in my experience, mollies. What colour is your female? You could choose fish that will complement her colours.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
I'm not a Betta person, but you may want to try a male betta. I stand to be corrected :).
Noooooo, no male in with the female in a 20 gallon. I made that mistake when I very first got into this hobby many years ago. I figured I needed both male and female. I quickly had to set up another tank for the male :D

TeeJay89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could try Tetras, I hear they are pretty peaceful, or like me get a Siamese Algae Eater ;) The one I have is super peaceful, before my Betta passed he never even minded him in the tank at all!

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ixxkepxxi said:
So after reading reviews from my last post, I have decided to upgrade to a 20 Gallon. I have 1 Female Betta at the moment. Which fish do you guys recommend me adding? I was also thinking about adding a couple live plants.
I think you've gotten solid advice on the fish already, but in terms of plants, some easy ones would be anubias and java fern (don't put these in your substrate, tie them to something) as well as things like java moss and moss balls as well as a variety or others. I also find my rotala, ludwigia, moneywort and wisteria to be very easy, although the wisteria does drop a few leaves every time I do a water change, so that's something to consider. They all grow pretty fast too, but not out of control.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Noooooo, no male in with the female in a 20 gallon. I made that mistake when I very first got into this hobby many years ago. I figured I needed both male and female. I quickly had to set up another tank for the male :D
Ok, I've been corrected :eek: :D. I struck that line out in my original post, lol.

Thanks for the correction, like I said, I'm not a Betta person, and perhaps mistakenly, I thought I had read that keeping a pair was alright. Now I know :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Ok, I've been corrected :eek: :D. I struck that line out in my original post, lol.

Thanks for the correction, like I said, I'm not a Betta person, and perhaps mistakenly, I thought I had read that keeping a pair was alright. Now I know :)
You really aren't totally wrong. I think there are some breeds of betta that can be kept together but not the ones we commonly buy from our local fish stores. Some folks have had success with some of the wild breeds.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
You really aren't totally wrong. I think there are some breeds of betta that can be kept together but not the ones we commonly buy from our local fish stores. Some folks have had success with some of the wild breeds.
And that's why I try to put in the "general disclaimer" when I'm not 100% sure, lol. I know someone with more experience that me will pipe in and clarify the situation before any major harm is done. I'm constantly reading "I did it with mine, and they're fine", when 90% of the world would disagree :). I always say, just because you can doesn't mean you should, and when I give out misleading or wrong information, I hope someone else will educate me, as well as whoever I'm talking to.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
And that's why I try to put in the "general disclaimer" when I'm not 100% sure, lol. I know someone with more experience that me will pipe in and clarify the situation before any major harm is done. I'm constantly reading "I did it with mine, and they're fine", when 90% of the world would disagree :). I always say, just because you can doesn't mean you should, and when I give out misleading or wrong information, I hope someone else will educate me, as well as whoever I'm talking to.
I feel the same way. If I am seen to be giving out incorrect information I hope someone will correct me. That is how we all learn. :)

New Threads