Which fish should i add to a tank with white background

Shreyawagle

I have a white background with red soil, rocks, driftwood and some plants. I have a school of kulhi loaches and black neocaradinas. I recently got a school of ember tetras. I need more stocking ideas. Something that would look good on white and red and green. Any ideas?
I would prefer the fishes to be shrimp safe. I am not actively trying to breed them but I would like to have atleast 1 out of 20 shrimplets reach adulthood.
Ps. I tried green rasboras before but they don't really look that great on white background. So anything that is small enough and bright would do

FishDin

What is the tank size and current stocking numbers?

WRWAquarium

I'm thinking most fish would prefer (feel safer and look better) against a dark background.

Are you set on the white?

TClare

Yes, I think a white background will wash out a lot of fish colours as well as making them feel more exposed. Though I believe Iwagumi style tanks often have white backgrounds, it might be worth having a look at some to see what fish they have used, if you are really set on white.

ProudPapa

Some dark colored guppies should work. Get all males if you don't want to deal with fry. They usually have better color anyway.

Shreyawagle

What is the tank size and current stocking numbers?
It's about 125L. 6 kuhlis, 12 embers. I started with 12 shrimps about 4 months back Idk how many there are now but I can see 5 adults at a time. It's heavily planted so they might be hiding.
I'm thinking most fish would prefer (feel safer and look better) against a dark background.

Are you set on the white?
I already have another with black. And since the tank is completely cycled I don't really wana remove all the water turn it around just to change the wallpaper. Besides I have same plants in both tanks so they will end up looking similar

TClare

It is not difficult to fix some dark polystyrene or card to the back for the tank, on the outside, if you did want to change the background (polystyrene also helps to retain heat).

Shreyawagle

Some dark colored guppies should work. Get all males if you don't want to deal with fry. They usually have better color anyway.
I kept guppies before and in my experience they just move everywhere and end up bullying the shrimps a lot more than other schooling fishes. I would prefer schooling ones even the bottom dwelling ones.

MacZ

I already have another with black. And since the tank is completely cycled I don't really wana remove all the water turn it around just to change the wallpaper. Besides I have same plants in both tanks so they will end up looking similar
The animals' requirements should always take precedence overy our human sense of aesthetics.
Fish in brightly lit tanks tend to be stressed a lot, have washed out colours and die earlier than conspecifics kept in darker or dim environments.

Shreyawagle

It is not difficult to fix some dark polystyrene or card to the back for the tank, on the outside, if you did want to change the background (polystyrene also
The tank is heavy to move. Ill have to move the entire tank to remove the white background first. Plus both the tanks might end up looking the same.

TClare

The tank is heavy to move. Ill have to move the entire tank to remove the white background first. Plus both the tanks might end up looking the same.
OK, well another alternative would be to plant tall plants at the back, like Vallisneria or fast growing stem plants. The fish would be a lot happier and their colours much brighter.

Shreyawagle

The animals' requirements should always take precedence overy our human sense of aesthetics.
Fish in brightly lit tanks tend to be stressed a lot, have washed out colours and die earlier than conspecifics kept in darker or dim environments.
I understand that but the tank is really old and it always had that background. I have had my kuhlis for 3 years now and they are always out. Same goes for the shrimps and even the embers. The tank is heavy planted has a bunch of java moss, ferns, crypts, stem plants and carpeting plants. So it's more red and green than white. I have never had a fish actively hide before and to empty most of the water just to move it, I feel it'll bother the fishes more.

Sb092

I understand that but the tank is really old and it always had that background. I have had my kuhlis for 3 years now and they are always out. Same goes for the shrimps and even the embers. The tank is heavy planted has a bunch of java moss, ferns, crypts, stem plants and carpeting plants. So it's more red and green than white. I have never had a fish actively hide before and to empty most of the water just to move it, I feel it'll bother the fishes more.
Just do some research on what fish can live together. It doesn’t matter if your background is white, black, purple or whatever color. You seem to have enough plants for any fish to be happy. As long as all the fish can survive in the current water parameters you have and are good tank mates for whatever you already have then go for it. Over time the plants will block out what background you do have, so it’s kind of pointless to worry about the back of the tank, when eventually your plants will cover it.

Shreyawagle

OK, well another alternative would be to plant tall plants at the back, like Vallisneria or fast growing stem plants. The fish would be a lot happier and their colours much brighter.
I have that already. My main issue is finding shrimp friendly nano fishes with different colors. I was thinking of going for emperor tetra when I saw some babies in my lfs but they get too big. I am going for fishes that grow to 1.5 inches max.

I was thinking about these but most of them are expensive and hard to come by.

Dwarf pencilfish
Psudomugil pskai rainbow
Signifer rainbow
Stone catfish
Clown killifish
Panda corys

Are dwarf rainbows shrimp safe??

KingOscar

As you have noted, the white background doesn't bother your present fish. Probably most fish would quickly get used to it. I believe the super bright lights many use for growing plants have to be stressful for the fish yet few worry about that.

I look forward to seeing your choice and some photos.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
altwitch
Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
Replies