Which Fish Reproduce Less

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicole B, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole BWell Known MemberMember

Wondering which fish reproduce less than the others?
    Right now we have mollies and we know we are going to have more babies here soon and it gets to be overwhelming especially when our mollies don’t seem to eat any of them. Sounds bad but last time we had about 15 that survived and had to try and rehome them all.

2. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Livebearers are the most prolific. That will be your mollies, platies, guppies, endlers, etc. Egg scatterer species like tetras and rasboras are less likely to spawn, or if they do, their eggs usually get eaten.

3. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Males reproduce less ;) .. I've never had fry from male guppies, male platies, male gouramis ... LOL. <teasing ... but it's the truth! I normally buy males of the species I enjoy like the many livebearers without dealing with fry>.

4. 123

123Valued MemberMember

Get Gouramis :D My Honey Gouramis spawned and the female ate eggs right away and the male was soo disappointed :( and I managed to save just one fry by some miracle before it would get eaten by the male :D

5. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Dont do males and females and you wont have an issue.

Beyond that, stay away from live bearers, i.e., guppies, endlers, platys, mollies, etc.