Which fish is this ?????

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by laracroft007, Aug 8, 2014.

1. l

laracroft007 New Member Member

Hi,

i just bought 2 algae eaters, and i wish it is not Chinese Algae eater. I was hearing a lot negative talk on it

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Golden variant of chinese algae eater. They should be okay when younger, but when they are older they will be troublemakers.

3. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

I'm pretty sure they're both Chinese Algae Eaters (or CAE for short.) Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have one in my tank and he gets along with everyone. No horror stories of him sucking the slime coat off my other fish. He can be territorial at times when he makes something "his home" but this is easily fixed by rearranging the decorations in my tank or adding something new. Most of the time he thinks he's a catfish. The only problem I foresee in the future is him outgrowing my tank but I'm already planning on getting a bigger one but worst comes to worst, I'll rehome him. I do keep a very close eye on mine though, just in case he has a change of heart and starts killing his tank mates.

My advice would be to watch them closely. Look for signs of aggression or bullying. Do you plan on keeping them? Did you buy them strictly to clean up algae? I know mine prefers to munch on fish food but he still does clean my decor and tank walls. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    l

laracroft007 New Member Member

yes, i bought it by mistake for Algae

I will keep a closer look on it and move it in to bigger tank when it grows or when it's in aggression

BTY how many more days/month do i have before i move it ???

5. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

How big is the tank that you currently have them in? Again, they're okay algae eaters when they're young but they do prefer flake food or pellets. How long do you keep your tank lights on during the day?

I have had mine since last November or December and have no issues. I've been given conflicting information on how large they get but mine isn't quite three inches yet. I would just keep an eye on them for now. They're young still and should be okay for a bit. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice