Which Fish Is Better

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Danios! I have leopard and zebra danios along with white clouds in my 63 gallon. They eat from my hand.

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like little fish and community tanks, and from my limited knowledge on both of these fish, I think I would prefer danios.

Books&Fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Danios! I have leopard and zebra danios along with white clouds in my 63 gallon. They eat from my hand.
I have a school of danios in my 75g, and when I'm doing plant maintenance, they try to eat my hand! Feels like tickles.

To answer the question, I choose danios (I think the zebra-patterned are beautiful), but I've never had cichlids to compare.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tough to quantify "better" but I'd say danios are much less demanding since african cichlids have more specific needs regarding aquascaping, stocking, tankmates, etc. Give danios a minimum 30" long tank in a group of 6 in clean water and they're pretty happy. I'm sure there are some who keep african cichlids who absolutely love them, but you really have to know what you're doing to give them the type of habitat they need to thrive. Danios are overall much less aggressive and more "community-tank friendly."

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept them both. If it were to be the danios I would have another school of golden long fin. I have some nice shots from the last school we had if you would like to see them.

BuddyD

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept them both. If it were to be the danios I would have another school of golden long fin. I have some nice shots from the last school we had if you would like to see them.
Definately would like pics.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It depends what size tank you have, and whether you want aggressive (but super-colorful), or low-maintenance and peaceful...

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have not been attracted to African Cichlids because i have been given the impression that they are kept overcrowded and I like to understock my tanks where possible as I have found my fish live much longer.

I do like Danios and have a couple of decades of experience with different varieties of Zebra Danio. They are a bit hyperactive but provide a lot of movement in a large group! They are also shorter lived than I prefer (mine last about 18 months average). I have also bred them many times which was fun.

Bowl45 and Danio Fry Steve Joul 19.05.08 (3).jpg
Bowl45 and Danio fry Steve Joul 20.04.08 - Copy.jpg
Cube 20.02.10 - Copy.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom