Which Fish Is Better

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuddyD, Apr 24, 2017.

1. BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Which fish do you think is better....African Cichlids or Danios (maybe with a few White Clouds).

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Danios! I have leopard and zebra danios along with white clouds in my 63 gallon. They eat from my hand.

3. Neptune334Valued MemberMember

I like little fish and community tanks, and from my limited knowledge on both of these fish, I think I would prefer danios.

4. Books&FishWell Known MemberMember

I have a school of danios in my 75g, and when I'm doing plant maintenance, they try to eat my hand! Feels like tickles.

To answer the question, I choose danios (I think the zebra-patterned are beautiful), but I've never had cichlids to compare.

5. JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Tough to quantify "better" but I'd say danios are much less demanding since african cichlids have more specific needs regarding aquascaping, stocking, tankmates, etc. Give danios a minimum 30" long tank in a group of 6 in clean water and they're pretty happy. I'm sure there are some who keep african cichlids who absolutely love them, but you really have to know what you're doing to give them the type of habitat they need to thrive. Danios are overall much less aggressive and more "community-tank friendly."

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have kept them both. If it were to be the danios I would have another school of golden long fin. I have some nice shots from the last school we had if you would like to see them.

7. BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Definately would like pics.

8. vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

It depends what size tank you have, and whether you want aggressive (but super-colorful), or low-maintenance and peaceful...

9. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I have not been attracted to African Cichlids because i have been given the impression that they are kept overcrowded and I like to understock my tanks where possible as I have found my fish live much longer.

I do like Danios and have a couple of decades of experience with different varieties of Zebra Danio. They are a bit hyperactive but provide a lot of movement in a large group! They are also shorter lived than I prefer (mine last about 18 months average). I have also bred them many times which was fun.

Bowl45 and Danio Fry Steve Joul 19.05.08 (3).jpgBowl45 and Danio fry Steve Joul 20.04.08 - Copy.jpgCube 20.02.10 - Copy.JPG

10. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Here you go :)

_MG_9856.0_zpszfuu2pln.jpg

_MG_91350_zps9a3697c6.jpg

_MG_4110120_zpsebaa609b.jpg

_MG_50870_zpse906e81c.jpg

_MG_38870.jpg

_MG_00170.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice