Which fish have teeth?

goggles
I have been told but i'm not sure if it is true, if they do, which fish have teeth.
I.E...swordtails,sharks,tetra's ect?

Lucy
Angela_96
I know for a fact cichlids have teeth

seedy
HI goggles
Not a silly questions , very interesting I think .
I've noticed 4 small teeth ( 2 top , 2 bottom ) in my Silver Dollars
(metynnis argenteus)

tkfury
I'm pretty sure some if not all killifish have teeth as well. The Banded Killifish is the only one I can actually find infomation about having teeth but I wouldn't doubt my Yellow ones have I can certainlly tell the differance when my killies are going after me and when my guppies join in when I'm cleaning the tank.

jdhef
Sharks, Pirahnna's & Barracuda's all have teeth.

John

Barbrella
Tetras have teeth.

Shawnie
HI goggles
Not a silly questions , very interesting I think .
I've noticed 4 small teeth ( 2 top , 2 bottom ) in my Silver Dollars
(metynnis argenteus)

wow I have silver dollars..I haven't seen teeth..they won't say cheeese for me ;D

Lonely Angel
Betta have teeth

They do? Wow, I learn something new every day. I had assumed they didn't since Mic bites me all the time and it never hurts.

Chief_waterchanger
A lot of fish that are herbivores (did I spell that correctly? ) have blunt plate-like teeth, and most fish that have the plate-like teeth have them in their throats rather than their mouths.

I belive most fish that eat any form of meat, shrimp, worms, etc have teeth more set for shredding and puncturing than the herbivores.

Lucy
They do? Wow, I learn something new every day. I had assumed they didn't since Mic bites me all the time and it never hurts.

Someone posted a link a to pics with a betta's teeth showing, it was pretty cool.

sirdarksol
Yes, CWC, that was spelled right.

Most, if not all, fish are going to have some type of teeth. The only ones I can think of that might not are puffers (which have beaks, but they may also have the teeth further back in the mouth).

Chief_waterchanger
A beak is an adaptation of fused teeth.

Its amazing how nature works.

COBettaCouple
Yea, Betta have little teeth and I'm sure killies do, with how they tear apart a piece of cichlid chow.

Annabelle
tetras and silver dollars are related to pirahnas so it stands to reason they have teeth. I imagine their relatives would have teeth.

seedy
HI shawnie
If your willing to put your hand in your tank with those big Oscars , you have nothing to fear from the Silver dollars .

Ryno
TEETH
Those species that feed on phytoplankton or zooplankton, along with those that have
tube-shaped mouths (the Syngnathidae), have no teeth. All other fish have teeth and
there is a wide variety of shapes, mainly in accordance with diet. These teeth can be
classified according to the bones on which they are situated: premaxillary and maxillary
on the upper jaw; mandibulars associated with the dental bone of the lower jaw; the
vomerine, palatine, ectopterygoid and parasphenoidal teeth in the palate; and in some
species (salmonids, osteoglossidae – Bony tongues ), there are dental plates associated
with the tongue equipped with prominent, sharp teeth; there are also pharyngeal teeth in
many of the branchial bones (see the diagram to the right).
Predatory fish, feeding on nekton and macrobenthos, have mandibular dentition made
up of numerous small but sharp teeth, canine in shape, which form an insuperable
barrier for small prey. The more active predators have strong jaws and sharp teeth. The
teeth on the edges of the jaws are for catching and chewing the prey, while the
pharyngeal teeth stop the prey from escaping. Corallivorous fish have grinding teeth,
similar to those of mussel-eating fish. Scaridae (parrot fish) have a beak-like mouth
with flat grinding plates of fused teeth for breaking up coral. The Cyprinidae (e.g., the
carp) do not have teeth at the edge of the jaw, although there are teeth at base of the
pharynx. Generally, these fish are vegetarian, but they do take in large mouthfuls of
mud and take nourishment from the small invertebrates the mud contains.

The teeth on my old Needle Nose Gar (RIP), were the coolest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
diamonfingers
Replies
Views
felixtacat
Top Bottom