Which Fish Do I Add First To Cycled Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fish_ninja, Apr 21, 2018.

1. fish_ninja

fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    Right now I am waiting for my first tank to cycle (using fishless cycling method) and have been planning out what kinds/how many fish I want. I have a 20 gallon high. Here is what I've basically landed on:

AquStockImage.png

I can go +/- 1 or 2 with the CPDs, and can go without the gourami. I want to avoid overstocking.

My question is: which fish should I introduce first once my cycle is complete? Also, let's say I add the guppies first...do I acclimate them all together, or one at a time? Same question for the CPDs.

Thank you!

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I added 20 fish in a 55g in a span of 2-3 hours. I went with the cheapest first. Because, as bad as this sounds, sacrifice the cheapest before adding the pricey. If the cheap fish dies you know something is up.

3. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

How much ammonia are you processing in a 24 hour period. That will dictate how many you can probably do at one time. Then I would wait a week to add the next batch. I would definitely do the guppies first, but three isn't really that big of a bioload. Maybe the three and then snails if you are going to add them?

4. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

I’d add them in the order you have them listed. Yes, I agree, it’s all about the price. Adding 3 guppies isn’t a huge deal. I’d probably split the danios into 2 groups and then the gourami.

5. OP
    OP
    fish_ninja

fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Galathiel - I just started reading nitrites yesterday so nothing significant yet, but I have the tank dosed at 2ppm ammonia and hope to set it up so the BB can process that amount in 12 hours. Not sure how that translates into ammonia created by the fish, which I hadn't even thought of!

I like this idea...so maybe 3 guppies and then 4 danios, wait a week (?) and add 4 more danios plus gourami.

Forgot one thing - I hadn't thought about snails, and had actually decided today to not get a "bottom-feeder" as it doesn't seem necessary? I'm not doing a planted tank at this point. I will have to read about the benefits of snails because I'm not really sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Gourami last for sure