Question Which fish are suitable for temps 80-84????

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most are under 80 but there are quite a few fish that do fine in high temps.

It depends on the tank size, we could list some that are 2" and some that are 10".

Brian

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
right away i can think of ramirezi, angels, discus, clown loaches... there are many fish that can live in such temps....my tank is on the 80 to 83 for most of the time and my fish are happy wiht that. I guess it depends if they have been aclimatated properly.
IMO being on the high or low end of the fish temp requirements is not as critical as having constant fluctuating temps

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank and planning ahead or is this for your small tank?

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I keep .... a gourami, some cardinal tetras, some cherries, some mollies, and a betta all in unheated tanks that stay 82 to 86, but their preferred temp is a little lower.
Most tank bred fish can handle the higher temps, but it speeds up their metabolism. Meaning they grow faster, die faster, and eat more.

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank and planning ahead or is this for your small tank?
Yea I plan on getting a 100+ gallon sometime soon. And down south here seems like my lil 8 gal biocube is always around 79-82 and sometimes 84. I wonder if the larger a tank is will it be cooler since there is more water? House is pretty cool normally 76-77 but I have the setup near the kitchen in living room so of course its bit warmer there. Just pondering and picking brains here from the more experienced folks. As always thanks for the help to all.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
most people advise you to get a heater for the larger tanks they help prevent sudden temperature changes that can be very harmful to tropical fish and im sure its not good for any fish

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. A bigger tank is conducive to stabler temperatures and water parameters in general. Think of temperature as energy. How long would it take all of that energy to diffuse through 8 gallons of water compared to say, 50 gallons? Once a larger body of water is heated to a certain temperature, it will be harder to change that temperature as the energy required will be greater.

Edit: So to answer your question, yes. It will be cooler if you set the temp cooler. It will not fluctuate from 79-82, which is not too good for the fish.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A fluctuation would not be. That's what I was trying to say.
I was responding to the op. I agree that fluctuations are bad. I keep all three of my tanks at 79 degrees with 15 happy residents from 7 different species.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh and to the OP, most fish can live in that temperature as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate and they are acclimated.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As mentioned sudden fluctuations are bad. In large tanks there is not such a sudden change and temp flucuations are normal...even in nature. Keep your heaters set at 76-80 and you would not get a large drop in temps. During heat spells it would not cut on and most fish would survive as the tank slowly warms up. Add oxygen thru using an air pump if temps get too high, warmer water holds less oxygen.

Most Amazon fish, many asian native fish, etc. can withstand hi temps and lower temps...countrys with dry spells and monsoons...have notable temp changes.

Last edited:

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank is a constant 82 degrees. My favorite LFS, one with an excellent national reputation with relationships to PhD-types have their tanks between 80 to 84 degrees. It's extremely difficult to keep tank temperature lower here without a chiller. As long as you don't get too exotic with the fish selections you should be okay.

If memory serves they have fish like gouramis and some tetras. They are also the only local place I know to get true Siamese algae eaters. I've never had any trouble with fish I bought there.

Why is your water temperature that warm?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom