Which First Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pasp475, Apr 17, 2017.

1. pasp475

pasp475 Valued Member Member

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

It all depends on what else you wanted to add. Anything else in mind?

3. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

tigers barbs are best in larger schools (6+ but i will have 15 here soon) to keep them them really harassing and nipping other fish and should be in a tank of at least 30g :)
    the others im not sure about, sorry :/

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

The barbs get too big and aggressive for a 20gal IMO. You want a big school of them to keep aggression down and I don't see that happening well in a 20 tall. I feel like you should go with the smallest species, the neons, as you can have more of them than the other species and they will appreciate being in a larger group.

5. OP
    OP
    pasp475

How many neon tetra can I put in my 20 gallon tank?

6. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm good question, I think at least 10 will do alright. I completely forgot to give you a heads up on the neons, they are often a bit touchy with newly set up tanks. They're pretty fragile and are often recommended in tanks that have been up and running for a good while.

7. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Stock the neons last. I love them too but they are a little delicate. The more established your tank is the better. Blackskirts are pretty tough. I have a school of them and refer to them as the "Meth heads". They completely lose their minds at feeding time. Fun fish to watch, as most tetras are.

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with either the harlequin rasboras or neon tetras. And I agree to put the neons in last if you decide on them.

9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

How about something like this:

- 8 neon tetras
    - 1 honey/dwarf gourami
    - 6 pygmy corydoras

Just a suggestion. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Pygmy corys actually spend more time in the mid region of the tank so it may make the tank more crowded if they share that space with the neons.

For corys that actually dwell mostly on the bottom and would do well in this tank size, habrosus, false julii or pandas would be a good option.

11. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I already checked in but another thing to consider with fragile fish..... Sure we want a school because they look cool, but you don't have to buy a dozen on day one and hope it goes well. One or two neons are not going to fall over dead because they are not in a proper school for a few weeks, or even months.

12. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have kept three of these species.

Not kept Tiger Barbs but they would seem too big and aggressive for this size tank to me.

Why not make things as easy as possible.

Neons look best but are a bit of a disaster if they come with disease, which seems quite common. But if you like them then nothing else will do. Except Cardinals.

Black Skirts are a bit dull coloured and get worse as they age.

Harlequins may be the best all rounder as they are beautiful and probably easiest to keep of all four.

13. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

14. OP
    OP
    pasp475

So, I guess I will go with the harlequin rasbora for now, and add more fish later. The neon tetras are pretty, but they seem a little fragile.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do this:
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 panda cories
    1 bolivian ram

16. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I personally like the simplicity and striking effect of a single species so I would have 15 Harlequins and keep them a while then maybe review things.

However, I have three aquaria with single species shoals and they are all satisfying: One of this size with 15 Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a sunken ship, one smaller tank with ten Neon Tetra and plants plus one larger tank with 20 Neon Tetra and plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice