which filters best?

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

I'm new to keep tropical fish, have had a complete disaster with it so far :'( so thought I would ask some advice! We currently have a 60 litre tank which at the moment only has 1 betta fish and 1 dwarf gouramI in it due to us losing 9 of our fish over the last 2-3 mths. We have the elite underwater stingray 15 filter but I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with it. Could anyone recommend the best sort of filter for my sized tank? I'm hoping to re stock it once I have sorted the problem out that is killing my fish so would like to find a filter in the meantime!

thanks

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My favourite filter I have is a Fluval U3, this type of filter would be too powerful for your tank, but a smaller Fluval may be good

Also, I strongly suggest removing your betta from the tank. Bettas and dwarf gouramis should never be kept together.
My advice would be to take back the dwarf gouramI and betta to the fish store and start over.
What are your readings for ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate?

dyco619

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say that your problem is the betta, betta fish should not be kept with other fish especially gourami, that's like keeping it with another betta, I would leave the betta on its own or remove it,

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, unfortunatly the pet store I got them both from said they would be fine together! I actually have another topic in the freshwater beginners bit where I was informed that they do not get on! I'm in the process of finding another tank for the betta. I believe my problem is the water though at the moment, ive ordered my own testing kit and am going to get the water checked tomorrow whilst I'm waiting for the kit to be delivered.
I will have a look for a fluval aswell thanks.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sadly that is the problem with some pet stores, they just want your money.
If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in the UK are you from?

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm learning that now, think perhaps I have been a bit nieve with taking their advice! I'm from bedfordshire.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
betta should be left alone. its not a community fish. I think Barbs is a good tankmate with gourami.
from what I heard here.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the thing is aswell, the store I got my betta from have one betta to every tropical tank they have.. they told me he just wouldnt be able to go with another betta but should be fine with other fish. to be honest i've not seen him fight with any of my other fish (before they passed away) except for the last 3 wks or so he has started to fight with my dwarf gourami, who in turn fights back. They lived fine together for about 3 or 4 mths prior to this!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm Bedfordshire. I don't think there is a Swallow Aquatics out that way Swallow Aquatics is a fantastic fish store which I use
Maybe take a look on their site, www.swallowaquatics.co.uk and see if there is a rbanch near you.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For that size tank, getting back to the question at hand, Aqua Clear Hang on Back filters work beautifully. I think you would need an AC 30 or 50 but I can't remember the exact volume range. I am not sure if they are avilable in the UK though. You don't really need a canister in a small tank like that. And you can reuse your current filter on your Betta tank when you get it.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will have a look thanks. The store ive been using is called pets at home, its a nationwide store. We do have another one that's owned and run by the same guy so I'm going to use him from now on. He has always been very helpful its just a little harder to get to.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like Auqaclears because they provide a large area for media.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads