Which filter

Nette

Reaction score
Hello I have a tank 100 litres I’m using a oase filter 100 when I bought it I was told it was big enough for my tank .Looking on the web site one place says it’s good for 50 litres but t
hen underneath it says 100 litres what do you think should I spend another £40 and get the next size up please help I’m confused

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's usually always better to go bigger cause once the media is put in the filter the GPH flow rate goes down. Can never have too much filtration but you can have too much flow for some fish. As long as the upgraded filter doesn't blow the fish around in the tank i would go for the larger one. Also you may need it if you decide to upgrade your tank size down the road. Pics?

Nette

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
It's usually always better to go bigger cause once the media is put in the filter the GPH flow rate goes down. Can never have too much filtration but you can have too much flow for some fish. As long as the upgraded filter doesn't blow the fish around in the tank i would go for the larger one. Also you may need it if you decide to upgrade your tank size down the road. Pics?
kallililly1973 said:

Attachments

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Oase Filter 100 is a 600 lph filter. This will probably work just fine on a lightly stocked tank. The Filter 200 at 800 lph would be better giving you a 8x turnover rate.

Nette

Reaction score
Cichlidude said:
The Oase Filter 100 is a 600 lph filter. This will probably work just fine on a lightly stocked tank. The Filter 200 at 800 lph would be better giving you a 8x turnover rate.
Thankyou I’ve just ordered the oase 200 with the heater as well .id rather my fish be happy .I had a bamboo shrimp but 2 of my fish attacked him and he is no more . These 2 little devils.They where my first 2 fish a friend gave them to me don’t know what they are .They don’t touch the other fish .

Attachments

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nette said:
Hello I have a tank 100 litres I’m using a oase filter 100 when I bought it I was told it was big enough for my tank .Looking on the web site one place says it’s good for 50 litres but t
hen underneath it says 100 litres what do you think should I spend another £40 and get the next size up please help I’m confused
I was in your case bought 40 gallons filter.After few month used,it now flows the water like 20 gallons filter.I wish i was not listen the LFS guy buy the 100 gallons filter for my tank.
The filter in long run some how it will clog up with leaves,abstract, or food then it reduce the flow per gallon .So! On my opinion : Go BIG ...if it has too much flow then you can cover the inlet with sponge to clear water more than weak flow filter ( no chance to make it suck stronger unless you replace it)

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinh said:
I was in your case bought 40 gallons filter.After few month used,it now flows the water like 20 gallons filter.I wish i was not listen the LFS guy buy the 100 gallons filter for my tank.
The filter in long run some how it will clog up with leaves,abstract, or food then it reduce the flow per gallon .So! On my opinion : Go BIG ...if it has too much flow then you can cover the inlet with sponge to clear water more than weak flow filter ( no chance to make it suck stronger unless you replace it)
Yes, that's because of the following.

The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. Considering loss from head pump lift (canisters typically 3-4 feet: 7-13% head loss alone), now add filter media baskets, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar, add your filter media jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, hard media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. Your flow rated is reduced to about 50-60% or more. This is why you would get a filter running at 8-10x your flow rate to bring you down to the recommended 4x flow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom