Which Filter

Animated Brio

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yo so!
I’m setting up a 40b saltwater (FOWLF at first, then reef later) and I can’t decide which HOB filter to choose.
I’ve settled on a Seachem Tidal, but I can’t decide between 55, 75, or 110.

If you can find another type of filter for cheaper tell me.

I do have 40lb of dry rock and 40lb of live sand.

Any help would be great!

-Brio

Maggie321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ahh. I see. I've never used chemicals on mine yet. I'm about a year in. I have a 39g bowfront. Hob skimmer. No sump.

Animated Brio

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maggie321 said:
Ahh. I see. I've never used chemicals on mine yet. I'm about a year in. I have a 39g bowfront. Hob skimmer. No sump.
What skimmer do you use? And what size? I don’t know if I should get something the right size or 10+ gallons over.

Maggie321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Animated Brio said:
What skimmer do you use? And what size? I don’t know if I should get something the right size or 10+ gallons over.
Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB Protein Skimmer

It can go up to 125g. Way oversized. I figure that the only thing that'll happen is when there's no protein to skim, it just won't skim. And it gives me room to move up if I want. I am putting together a 210g and have a skimmer rated for 600g. It's way over kill, I know. I will not have to ever buy a new one though. I will have that one in a sump. But no other filtration.

Maggie321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Excuse the cup, I had a mushroom go rogue so it's in a cup with rubble so it'll attach to something I can place.

You can see the pump in the back. I don't notice it anymore.
3280d43dfc29035f2a91b9f846f78a76.jpg

Animated Brio

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maggie321 said:
Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind when looking for a skimmer. I’ll prioritize the skimmer, and add a HOB and the money flows.
Thanks for the advice and pictures of your tank!

Maggie321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know why it triple posted, sorry. That was an accident. There are a few things I would buy if you will be eventually going to a reef. 1 would be the skimmer and the other would be the light. If you already have the tank, I would put my money in those 2 things. Why the light? Cause you don't want to buy it 2x. One for a Fowler and one for a reef. The next thing I would get is an RODI unit. If you'll have a reef, you'l need one.

Animated Brio

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maggie321 said:
I don't know why it triple posted, sorry. That was an accident. There are a few things I would buy if you will be eventually going to a reef. 1 would be the skimmer and the other would be the light. If you already have the tank, I would put my money in those 2 things. Why the light? Cause you don't want to buy it 2x. One for a Fowler and one for a reef. The next thing I would get is an RODI unit. If you'll have a reef, you'l need one.
I’ve heard a lot about RODI, I’m thinking of buying water from my lfs at first to help kick start, but I’ll definitely get one at some point. As for lights it’s hard to tell if they can support reef life as I’m on a budget.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you think you might ever want to mod an HOB so it can act as a refugium, (fuge), then you'll want plenty of space inside the box, but it would be best if you could slow the flow through it. I also find Aquaclears to be better for fuges because you can shine the plant light through the sides or back instead of overhead. Thing is, you don't really want fast flow through the HOB if it's acting as a fuge because you want to maximize the time water has contact with the macroalgae inside. Of course, like a skimmer, a refugium is for nutrient reduction so perhaps you wouldn't need one if you'll have a skimmer. A fuge is also a great place for copepods the thrive, reproduce, and populate your tank. Pods are a good thing.

Hmmm, idk if I agree on the light coming before the RODI, only because I think figuring out how you'll provide good water is the first step in starting a saltwater tank. The RODI came before the tank for us.

While the tank is a FOWLR, the lighting is really only for your own viewing, so you can do it super cheap. A couple of shop lights would do fine. It might not be the most attractive option, but if you want a reef one day, go as cheap as you can for now. Perhaps you even have an old light you used for a freshwater tank, and that would be fine for now as well. However you do it, don't cheap out on a reef light in the beginning. You will only end up wanting an upgrade eventually and then that first light's expense is wasted. I did that. My first light wasn't even used for a year before we bought a better one. My advice? Save for the best reef light you can get. Use the time to gain some experience with the FOWLR and to learn about reefing. Then, when you can get a good light, you'll be ready for corals.

Animated Brio

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
If you think you might ever want to mod an HOB so it can act as a refugium, (fuge), then you'll want plenty of space inside the box, but it would be best if you could slow the flow through it. I also find Aquaclears to be better for fuges because you can shine the plant light through the sides or back instead of overhead. Thing is, you don't really want fast flow through the HOB if it's acting as a fuge because you want to maximize the time water has contact with the macroalgae inside. Of course, like a skimmer, a refugium is for nutrient reduction so perhaps you wouldn't need one if you'll have a skimmer. A fuge is also a great place for copepods the thrive, reproduce, and populate your tank. Pods are a good thing.

Hmmm, idk if I agree on the light coming before the RODI, only because I think figuring out how you'll provide good water is the first step in starting a saltwater tank. The RODI came before the tank for us.

While the tank is a FOWLR, the lighting is really only for your own viewing, so you can do it super cheap. A couple of shop lights would do fine. It might not be the most attractive option, but if you want a reef one day, go as cheap as you can for now. Perhaps you even have an old light you used for a freshwater tank, and that would be fine for now as well. However you do it, don't cheap out on a reef light in the beginning. You will only end up wanting an upgrade eventually and then that first light's expense is wasted. I did that. My first light wasn't even used for a year before we bought a better one. My advice? Save for the best reef light you can get. Use the time to gain some experience with the FOWLR and to learn about reefing. Then, when you can get a good light, you'll be ready for corals.
I was thinking of using a filter as a refugeium, you have a good point with aqua clear having a clear top. Sadly I don’t have any of my fresh water lights, I’ll most likely buy a cheap clip on light until I can save up for a better reef light.
As for RODI, they are very expensive units, I have a very limited budget, so although I should get one, my eagerness might not be able to wait for the funds to flow.

Also, I found a rather cheap skimmer by instant ocean rated for a 100g for $65(ish) I don’t know the quality as the reviews are limited.

Skimmers and RODI seem to be my main priority right now, however a filter isn’t out of the question yet.

Thanks for you help,

-Brio

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Animated Brio said:
Yo so!
I’m setting up a 40b saltwater (FOWLF at first, then reef later) and I can’t decide which HOB filter to choose.
I’ve settled on a Seachem Tidal, but I can’t decide between 55, 75, or 110.

If you can find another type of filter for cheaper tell me.

I do have 40lb of dry rock and 40lb of live sand.

Any help would be great!

-Brio
With the filter always go as large as possible as it will provide more flow and filtration (ie 75 or 110). Either the Seachem Tidal or Fluval would be the way to go with HOB filters. I ran a Fluval 50 along with an Eshoppes PSK-75H HOB Protein skimmer on my 36 gallon bowfront and they worked well. As for the RODI system, I would suggest that if you can wait, you get some 5 gallon jugs and buy your RODI/Saltwater pre-mix from your LFS and that will get you by with a minimal upfront cost while you save up for your unit and mixing station setup. Here is a vid of my 36 bowfront with the skimmer and Fluval 50 in action. In the HOB I ran the stock carbon bag and a Chemipure Elite Bag (a mix of carbon and GFO, which helps reduce phosphates).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom