Which Filter To Buy

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Kate.M, Apr 10, 2017.

1. K

Kate.M New Member Member

Hello.
    We got a 10 gallon Aqueon tank for 2 goldfish a little while ago. I want to change the original filter since I dont think its a good one. I need your recommendation for a good canister filter please.
    FYI the tank is planted and we use gravel. 20170410_163936.jpg

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I have used Marineland and Fluval canisters, liked them both but like my Fluvals more :) A sized one for your tank in the 06 line would be great for you. Make sure you run your old filter along with it for a month or so, or (if you can) move sponges/bio material from your old filter to the canister, then you will not have to run both.

I am not experienced with goldfish but I do not think a 10gal is large enough, will have to get someone else to comment there, but good idea on the canister, I do know they can be big waste producers.

3. Platies n friends

Platies n friends New Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kate.M New Member Member

Thank u very much for your reply.
    Yeah, I was thinking to run both filters together for a month.
    Regarding the number of fish, I learned that this tank is small AFTER we did set up everything :( and the reason why I am looking for a more efficient filter is this.
    We do partial water change every 3-4 days to make up for the small space. We certainly change the tank after we graduate from the learning period :)

5. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Two fancy goldfish need at least a 30 gallon (or 29) aquarium to be healthy and properly develop.

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Those look like common goldfish which need a pond :(.
    You can get the best filter in planet earth, 10 gal is small for them to grow.
    I would seriously consider saving the money you are gonna spend on a new filter and get something BIG for them. You can currently do more frequent and bigger water changes each week to keep water quality up. Something like two 40% water changes per week would keep water quality up, they are still not fully grown so even tho they are still messy fish they are not as messy as adults.
    I live in Mexico and I have a big yard, so If I were in your situation I would spend in a kiddy pool of around 90 gals or more and put them there. (if you do that you will need to be careful about birds going to town with your fish)
    PD: You have beatiful plants and goldfish love destroying plants :eek:

7. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

An Aquaclear hang on back filter would be fine for any 10 gallon tank. However I would see if you can return the goldfish. Way to messy and will grow very fast. Stick with small fish. Neon or cardinal tetras would be a good fit. As for other species, there are alot of people on here who could give you stocking options.

8. Bizarro252

Ya...I sure wish people at pet stores would actually have an interest in the animals they sell before getting a job there...would save people a lot of headache. If you don't want or can't fit a larger tank you could take them back or some non corporate store will buy them from you and start with fish more approprarly sized :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    K

Kate.M New Member Member

Thank u every one for your replies.
    This is exactly our case. We stopped there twice bfr buying the fish and tank and talked to 2 different assistant for a total of 2 hrs and no one told us anything about the right size tank/ type fish/ or nitrogen cycle.
    After setting up the tank I found this forum and are doing my best to look after the fish.
    I appreciate if you tell me also which fish ( other than Tetras and Neon( thank you MESRandy)) are good for this size tank.

10. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

11. n

nedpatrick Well Known Member Member

The cardinals need at least a 20 gallon. Neons and dwarf corys are controversial on this forum. Some feel they can go in a tank this size and some feel they can't. I personally would not do it but others will and have. Here is the list of all fish suitable for a 10 gallon

Stocking options for 10 gallons

Stocking options for 10 gallons

12. Dirzo90

Dirzo90 Valued Member Member

I have a fluval 206 as a secondary filtration on my 29 gal. And an aquaclear 30, sponges and biomedia only. No carbon or ammonia removers. Goldfish produce a lot of waste, biomedia will help build enough beneficial bacteria to break down all their waste. 20 gallons is minimum for a fancy goldfish, 10 gal for every extra fancy. Hope this helps!

13. OP
    OP
    K

Kate.M New Member Member

Thank you everyone for all your help :)

14. Bizarro252

Sure thing! Stick around and let us know if you have any other questions, and dont listen to those pet store people (or at least verify with a second source :p)
    Is a larger tank out of the question for you? A 20 gallon long would open up a lot more possibilities for you and its still small and light (enough) to stick on most regular tables.

15. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

The water clarity in your tank looks very nice. What made you think the filter might not be working well? Anyway you've had some good comments and have made some decisions already, so that's great. I just bring up the filter question because when I first got a used tank setup from someone, I didn't fully understand how the filter worked, so I went out to buy another one. However, I didn't throw away the old one. Months later, when I was trying to set up another tank, I figured I'll try the old filter again before buying a new one. Turns out, the old filter is working fine, I just didn't understand it's operation before. So without spending more on a new filter, I'm using the old filter just fine.

16. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

If you can return then then that would be your best bet. Goldfish are awesome but they certainly cannot thrive in 10 gallons and likely won't even survive for more than a few years if lucky and if they did then they would be suffering.

In a 10 gallon tank, there are some tropical options you might like & all you need to add is a heater.

17. OP
    OP
    K

Kate.M New Member Member

Sry guys, My daughters got sick one after the other and I did not get a chance to reply here sooner.
    We need to convince my older daughter to re-home the fish which is not an option on her side. If we can't do that, we sure consider buying a big tank.
    Water gets cloudy very frequently and I need to do water change very often. Also I don't think the bio filter on the original filter is a good one. We test the water every single night and after about a month recently I see ammonia spike. Completing a cycle is a hard work in a tank with fish(specially for us who are first time fish keepers). So I prefer to invest on a perfect filter.

I am looking at Fluval filters. My husband had this concern that if we get a filter which accommodates tank of up to let say 45gal, it might create a current which is too much for the 10 gal tank that we currently have. (And I prefer to get a filter that can support a 30 gal tank too, so that if we change the tank we wont have to buy a new filter too). I appreciate if u address his concern. thanks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice