Which fertilizer should I use

bored411

So, I have a low-tech (no CO2) 3 gallon betta tank with Dwarf Sag. that's got Flourish Root tabs for them, but also have Monte Carlo and I just purchased a Ludwigia Sp. 'Super Red Mini' from etsy as well (which can go in my 10 gallon if it won't work out in this one). I added a second light (8 watt LED) as the light that came with the tank was too weak for the Monte Carlo, which started browning.

Problem is, I was using Leaf Zone with a bit of CO2 booster, and the snail I added to help with some mild algae ended up dying. My levels are fine (ammonia: 0.25 as a false reading, nitrites: 0. nitrates: 10, ph: 7.4, temp 80) and the workers I spoke with said it is most likely the Leaf Zone that is killing snails (I tried adding a more active one this week, thinking I just got a snail that wasn't doing well, but it's also dying). So I've stopped dosing liquid fertilizer at all out of concern for future snails. The only thing in the tank right now is a betta, but I want a snail and/or a few ghost shrimp to keep the algae down if it becomes a problem. I can't do this if they're dying because of plant fertilizer but I want the plants to do well too.

So, what plant fertilizer is recommended for the plants I have that won't harm snails/shrimp? The Dwarf Sag. is fine with just the tablets, but I'm concerned about the Monte Carlo and Ludwigia. I've heard Flourish can be dangerous for fish/creatures as well unless you're very careful when dosing. Any suggestions?

YellowGuppy

I use Thrive in my main tank and I've got more snails than I know what to do with! It's advertised as invert-safe so it's fine with snails and shrimp, and is one of the more cost-effective all-in-one fertilizers that's readily available. I believe Easy Green would be another good option if you live where they'll ship to; it's much less easily accessible in Canada than it is south of the border.

bored411

I use Thrive in my main tank and I've got more snails than I know what to do with! It's advertised as invert-safe so it's fine with snails and shrimp, and is one of the more cost-effective all-in-one fertilizers that's readily available. I believe Easy Green would be another good option if you live where they'll ship to; it's much less easily accessible in Canada than it is south of the border.
Which Thrive do you use? I know there's a bunch of different ones. Is it NilocG Thrive? Thrive C? Thrive All-In-One? And I'll check into Easy Green too.

YellowGuppy

Just plain old ordinary Thrive. They're all products from the company NilocG.

ThriveC is designed for nano tanks, meaning it's basically watered down so it's easier to dose small amounts. ThriveS is designed specifically for shrimp tanks, but I've never really understood that, given that all of it is shrimp safe.

bored411

Just plain old ordinary Thrive. They're all products from the company NilocG.

ThriveC is designed for nano tanks, meaning it's basically watered down so it's easier to dose small amounts. ThriveS is designed specifically for shrimp tanks, but I've never really understood that, given that all of it is shrimp safe.
Because it's just a 3 gallon, should I count that as a nano tank? I think part of my problem was I might have been overdosing the Leaf Zone too so ThriveC would be safer for me, I think.

oliveoil

I would go with ThriveC. Unless you have CO2 and high light, ThriveC does the trick.

Mudminnow

I've used dry ferts, Seachem, Thrive, Easy-Green, and APT fertilizers with shrimps and snails. I've not had issues with any of them. But, if your fertilizer seems to be killing your invertebrates, you may wish to check your city's water report for copper levels. Personally, I've found my shrimps and snails start to get stressed and even die once the copper levels start to go over about 1.3 ppm or so. Therefore, one possibility is if your source water already has about as much copper as your inverts can stand, adding more in a fertilizer might just be enough push them over the edge.

bored411

I've used dry ferts, Seachem, Thrive, Easy-Green, and APT fertilizers with shrimps and snails. I've not had issues with any of them. But, if your fertilizer seems to be killing your invertebrates, you may wish to check your city's water report for copper levels. Personally, I've found my shrimps and snails start to get stressed and even die once the copper levels start to go over about 1.3 ppm or so. Therefore, one possibility is if your source water already has about as much copper as your inverts can stand, adding more in a fertilizer might just be enough push them over the edge.
I had nerite snails in the tank before I started using the plant fertilizer (And before I had Monte Carlo in the tank) and they lived for a good long while until I had issues with Zoothamnium/Carchesium and Hydra. That's why I assumed it had to do with the fertilizer like the employees told me rather than the water. I use the same water in my 10 gallon and have amano shrimp in there but they're fine. I also use Leaf Zone in that tank but because it's a bigger tank it doesn't seem to affect them at all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views