40 Gallon Tank Which Eheim Classic?

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just ordered my very first aquarium. It's a 40 gallon tank and I'm pretty excited. Once it's set up and cycled, I plan to buy 3-4 panda corys, and perhaps add some guppies in the future.

I've decided to get an Eheim Classic filter. For a 40gallon tank, should I get the 2213 or the 2215?

Would this filter work well with an Eheim Compact pump?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO - You should be looking at the 2217.

You ideally want 5-6x turnover per hour. The 2217 does 1000L/hr (264GPH) giving you just over 6x. The 2215 does 163GPH, giving you just over 4x turnover.

More filtration is always better, and corys can put a higher bio-load on the tank, so IMO, I'd go the 2217.

By compact pump, I assume you're referring to an air pump ??? If so, yep, will work fine, just don't place the bubbler near the filter intake.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 2215 would be fine for a 40 gallon. The 2217 would create a pretty strong current in the tank. The guppies probably wouldn't mind,but it is unnecessary IMO. You should get at least 6 cory too. The amount of waste from 6 cory and some guppies really does not need the extra media and water flow from a 2217.

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with the 2215.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go with the 2215 if I were you, good decision. I run a 2217 on one of my 75gals and it's awesome, but I would think it'd be a bit much for a 40gal.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I run an Eheim 2217 on my 50 gallon angel/cory/bleeding-heart-tetra tank. It is fabulous and the currents are not too strong. After it's run a month, the flow is about 20% lower than right after service. I find the benefits of over-doing the filtration are so many that I would never ever run a 75 gallon tank on just one 2217. I would use a pair. :) Hey, whatever you can afford, will be good. Eheims are awesome. I have had a 2217 on a 29 gallon tank, and it did create something of a current in the tank, which the inhabitants loved. The cories will play in the currents in your tank, if you have enough of them. They are most happy in a group of 7-9 it seems.

Warren

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What if the fishes end up having to swim against the current all the time and it tires them out? Is that an issue?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Generally the current shouldn't be too strong, but if it is, you can always drill the holes in the spray bar bigger.

Remember, fish have a natural tendancy to live in currents, and will normally adapt to the tank.

I think your fish will be fine. There are some 'still water' fish such as bettas that definitely do not like currents, but most should be fine (IMO)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Caesar, welcome to fishlore...

Generally we try not to hijack threads. Hopefully mods might separate your question into a separate thread to encourage more responses.

Generally, you want at least 5x of your volume per hour, so for a 200L, you want a minimum 1000L/hr turnover, this is dependant upon your stocking though.
For a 200L, I would recommend the 2217 as a minimum.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom