Which "dwarf Hairgrass" Is The Smallest?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
4,058
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
There are several grasses in the Eleocharis family labeled as "Dwarf Hairgrass". Which of these is the shortest growing species?
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,035
Reaction score
3,422
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
It seems to be parvula.




Probably safer to get it tissue cultured from a non-Petschmo place to avoid any mix up
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Fahn

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
4,058
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
It seems to be parvula.




Probably safer to get it tissue cultured from a non-Petschmo place to avoid any mix up
Thanks, you're always really reliable with this kind of thing.

I'm getting a UNS 25C in a few days and want to do a carpet in it, torn between a few hardier, less common options along with the hairgrass.

Opinions on Ranunculus inundatus or Pogostemon helferi?
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,035
Reaction score
3,422
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
Thanks, you're always really reliable with this kind of thing.

I'm getting a UNS 25C in a few days and want to do a carpet in it, torn between a few hardier, less common options along with the hairgrass.

Opinions on Ranunculus inundatus or Pogostemon helferi?
Ooh fun!
In a small tank like that you could probably do both of those two as well, as mid grounds or off to the side. I've never tried P. helferI because it's seems to have higher demands if you want it to be more compact and I am prone to letting my DIY CO2 run out
I also really like the look of R. inundatus, but same thing, it just looks like a plant that enjoys growing weedy if more demanding conditions are not met. Tropica's profile seems to agree.
Of course I know you're experienced with CO2 and high tech, so those would probably not be issues!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Fahn

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
4,058
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Ooh fun!
In a small tank like that you could probably do both of those two as well, as mid grounds or off to the side. I've never tried P. helferI because it's seems to have higher demands if you want it to be more compact and I am prone to letting my DIY CO2 run out
I also really like the look of R. inundatus, but same thing, it just looks like a plant that enjoys growing weedy if more demanding conditions are not met. Tropica's profile seems to agree.
Of course I know you're experienced with CO2 and high tech, so those would probably not be issues!
Ok, opinion on just one more, I promise

Hydrocotyle tripartita?
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,035
Reaction score
3,422
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
Ok, opinion on just one more, I promise

Hydrocotyle tripartita?
Have that one, good grower but won't stay compact for me haha
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Fahn

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
4,058
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Have that one, good grower but won't stay compact for me haha
Alrighty, thanks a bunch for your input
 

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,029
Reaction score
2,534
Experience
2 years
I have ranunculus growing in my 5 gal rn using DIY Co2, it definitely stays compact in high light. But IMO, it doesn’t look the best as a carpet lol, probably just for texture. There won’t be any pictures since I got a diatom bloom a few days ago though LOL.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
244
Guests online
3,210
Total visitors
3,454

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom