Which driftwood position is better? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by CanKor, Jan 6, 2013.

1. CanKorNew MemberMember

IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0003.jpg

Hi! THis is my 10 gallon tank.
    I'm trying to decide on those two choices :)
    The thing is that if I do it the first way (root like position) it will stay that way but
    if i do it the second way (tree branch like position) it will keep on floating no matter what!

BTW
    I'm trying to go with the amazonian theme but I wanna keep it simple...
    I don't want to add any plants so I have a limited choice...
    Which decorations may be good?

ANy stocking suggestions?

Thanks!

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What fish will be in it?

3. CanKorNew MemberMember

Stocking suggestions plz? lol
    No betta/guppy though lol I want to keep it somewhat of a biotope but no blackwater biotope lol
    I have another blackwater aquarium but kinda sick of seeing the dark water all the time

4. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

nice wood :;th

both look good but i just favour the 1st pic, really looks like tree roots

you say decorations but i would add some almond leaves, i dont know if they would be an option if you were going for amazonian theme but a few in there would look nice, might stain your water but idk as i havnt used them myself but if they do mangroves have a brown tinge anyway;)

you could get a black background or try to get 1 with some plants on if your not putting any plants in the tank

what you going to keep in it?

5. freak78Well Known MemberMember

How about put the thick end in the corner and put a couple of rocks over it. That should keep it down and create a cave for fish to hide in.

6. CanKorNew MemberMember

I do use almond leaves and have bunch of them but I am afraid that If I use almond leaves as my litter, my pH would swing too dramatically when I do water change and pH would increase again over time as I do PWC...

Do you guys think that one SA bumblebee catfish and some little tetras would work?
    OR Hm... would a pair of apistogramma work??

BTW you guys dont think rocks would be suitable? idk lol

7. dramaneaValued MemberMember

I'm not sure if a 10g is large enough, but what about a Bristlenose Pleco? In photographs they might not look that special, but having owned two I think they're stunning. Also, they have lots of personality for a fish-it's hilarious watching them much away at the walls.

bn3.jpgbn1.jpg

8. CanKorNew MemberMember

I think ancistrus may grow too big xD
    I think clown pleco may work though lol

9. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I use rocks to hold down my pieces of wood that won't stay down. I think a couple small ones would add a nice touch - and also give your fish someplace to hide.

Oh yeah, I am partial to the first picture myself.

10. CanKorNew MemberMember

BTW do you guys know what my wood type may be??
    I bought it from big als but cluless about which type of wood it is. I forgot to ask them ;)
    I don't think its malaysian or mopani but something else...

11. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

If you're going Amazonian, I'd say first position.

12. aquaticValued MemberMember

I like the look of the 1st pic out of the 2 a little better

13. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

1st pic

14. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i would also go with the 1st pic. i am however not sure on what you could put in there and keep it a biotope.

15. freak78Well Known MemberMember

Well it's not Malaysian. That will sink on it's own and so will the other you mentioned I believe.

16. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

First picture (the one to the left), definetely looks better. And if you want an Amazon-like biotope aquarium, the hanging effect it gives will be good, as many of the Amazon rivers' tributaries are filled with fallen driftwood and/or tree roots growing down into the water.
    You said you didn't want plants - that's normally blackwater...
    If you don't want dark water, you should get plants. Let them grow in between the roots and give shelter for a pair of apistos...:;hf

I'm imagining that root with java moss tied to it, oak leaves below, and the substrate rising to the back right with a bunch of ludwigias on that slope and some vals in the back...

either that or...

darkwater with a lot of leaves of various sizes and shapes all around the back and a little shoal of cardinals swimming through the roots.

Just putting up some ideas!! :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice