Which direction to go? 20 Gallon Tank

1. kacie Member Member

Hi, I've got very lonely survivors of Camallanus worms, three neon tetras, one otto and 2 kuhli loaches. What should I do with this tank?

It is has low light, a few plants, driftwood and eco-complete substraite. It is over run with java moss and algae. I should overhaul the tank. I'm thinking of pushing the eco-complete to the back and adding sand.

I could add more neons, kuhlis and ottos and then a pair of dwarf cichlids.

I like apistos and key holes or maybe I could try some darios (need to research them) or maybe just put the survivors into my 55g this spring and redo the tank into a shellie tank....

Ideas needed
    Thanks,
    kacie

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

The kuhlis definitely need more buddies because they're very sociable.

I wonder if you'd ever see your oto in a 55g. I sometimes lose track of mine in the 20. lol

(I'm sorry you lost so many babies to that nasty worm. :()

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry you lost your fishies from these worms... You could get 3-4 more neons and some more ottos. I'd agree with iloveeng with the kuhlis as well, great advice from her :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Kacie. I'm glad to hear that you have some survivors and I'm sorry for your losses.
    Ken

5. kacie Member Member

Thanks everyone. I will add more of all, hope I can find some Kuhlis. Am I stocked then? I hate to have a tank without any cichlids.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I don't think you'd be stocked if you added more tetras and loaches, but I also don't know enough about cichlids to recommend anything. I've heard of people keeping kribinsis (sp?) in 20g, but don't take my word on that. I just don't know much about them. :-\

7. btate617 Well Known Member Member

If you are looking for something fun to breed in the 20 how about Cryptoheros Sajica.

Very cool and colorful Central that stays small. Around 5" for males and 4" or so for females.

However they should spawn when the male is around 3".
    Just a thought.

Brian

8. kacie Member Member

Wow awesome looking fish! Just what I was looking for. What are they like?

9. btate617 Well Known Member Member

They are fairly peaceful, in my experience they don't really go around picking on others but they can hold their own if need be. They eat will smaller fish like most cichlids will if given the chance.

Like I said they will spawn at a small size. I never got huge spawns with mine, I think a large spawn for mine was probably around 75.

Also I found they don't seem to form strong bonds as with most Centrals. I have had females kill off males and males kill off females. At different times also, sometimes before a spawn or while it seems they are very close to(like tubes showing and all), sometimes after they eat either eggs or spawn (which I think was more of the male bullying to death the female which is normal), but also sometimes while they have free swimming fry one would go off for no apparent reason, this last example has happened to both male and female.
    And I have had some pairs that were fine for long periods of time together.

So they are for sure an interesting species that does not seem to show up to often. However saying that you should be able to find them on aquabid or somewhere similiar.

Good luck with whatever you pick.

Brian

10. kacie Member Member

Thanks Brian. I will look into them tomorrow.

11. kacie Member Member

Well, I am tampted to order some 1 inchers from Jeff Rapps...

12. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Awesome. They really are a cool fish. Good luck.

Brian

13. kacie Member Member

Well after reading the fine print you need a $50 minimum to order from Tangled up in Cichlids. I think I'll wait and see what's available after the holidays on aquabid or what my lfs can order for me.

14. kacie Member Member

Wow, what a choice. I emailed Tangled Up and I can order just a pair of Cryptoheros Sajica. So what I have available to me is a pair of apistos (can't decide what species) from Atlantis Tropical Hatchery or the pair of C. Sajica from Rapps. Which would you chose for a 20g high?

Brian, will a pair of Sajicas be okay for a year in such a small tank?
    Thanks

15. btate617 Well Known Member Member

I would say yes.

Depending on what size you get them at, a big male will be 5". And what is a 20tall, 24 x 12 x 16 right?

Brian

16. kacie Member Member

Yes, I think those are the dimensions. Okay I would order them now but you just convinced me to move my A. Oblongum into that tank. I only have the two tanks...
    But I need to stock them so I can stop obsessing over new fish! Think three 1/2 inch Oblongum and two 1 1/2 inch Sajica could live till March in my 20g tall?

17. btate617 Well Known Member Member

They will all be fine there until March.

Slim chance of the Sajica eating them, lots of decor and you should be fine though. Once they grow some I wouldn't worry at all but with them being 1/2" you just never know.

Brian

18. kacie Member Member

Done! I emailed Jeff so... Wow! You have really inspired me to get some interesting new fish! Thank you. Two of the fish aren't small enough to be eaten but one is so tiny. The size of a long pinky nail. "She" is good at hiding.

19. kacie Member Member

They should arrive today. Two Cryptohero Sajica!! I will start another thread when they arrive.

20. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We're keeping our fins crossed for a safe arrival;D Please keep us posted.