Which Crustaceans/snails Will Go Best With Blue/opaline Gourami?

Which ones go best with Blue/Opaline Gouramis?

• Vanilla Lobster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost Shrimp

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Variety of snail

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Tylcas
I really want a Blue/Opaline Gourami for my 55 gallon freshwater tank, but I don't know which crustaceans will go best. The only freshwater crustaceans at my LFS are Ghost Shrimp and Vanilla Lobsters (and the Vanillas are $20.00 each!!!!). They also have a variety of snails. If anyone has gourami and/or crustacean/snail experience, tell me what would work!

- DisIsAbyss

Rtessy
The only thing I can say is I do not recommend the "vanilla lobster" because they get over a foot long and will prey on fish...

Tylcas
The only thing I can say is I do not recommend the "vanilla lobster" because they get over a foot long and will prey on fish...
Oh my god. Seriously? Now I can understand the $20.00 price tag!

Rtessy
Yeah, and their blue one does too! I thought that was just a dwarf crayfish variety, but I was wrong. Both get huge. Ghost shrimp may work, they may get eaten but they're cheap. If they have enough hiding places they should be fine.

Tylcas
Yeah, and their blue one does too! I thought that was just a dwarf crayfish variety, but I was wrong. Both get huge. Ghost shrimp may work, they may get eaten but they're cheap. If they have enough hiding places they should be fine.
We have a large pirate ship that takes up a pretty good amount of space so that could work. What about any snails?

MsMarch
Hm... crustaceans/shrimp and fish tend not to go great just because someone usually gets eaten. That being said, I know some people have shrimp with their fish, just know you might lose a few to your gourami. I'd probably recommend the snails over crustaceans... nerites are fun, and won't breed in freshwater.

Tylcas
Nice! I like the looks of Nerites, too, and since they won't breed, our tank won't be overrun by snails! Don't snails eat algae, because if they do we might have to get them. We might get a pleco too and if there's no algae for him he can have some wafers. ^w^

Rtessy
Nerites are literally the greatest algae eaters I have found, and they're fun to watch. I personally like mystery snails because they're full of personality, but they have long antenae that might look like a snack. Nerites have very small and slI'm ones and often aren't picked on

MsMarch
The nerites will take care of your algae for sure. They're awesome snails, and they come in a few different patterns too.
I don't know a lot about plecos but my understanding is that 55 is on the smaller side for them, although I wouldn't take my word for it. Good luck with the tank!

Rtessy
55 would be too small for common plecos, and most others, but bristle nose plecos would work. Be warned though, they are huge waste producers

Tylcas
55 would be too small for common plecos, and most others, but bristle nose plecos would work. Be warned though, they are huge waste producers
When I say pleco I mean Rubber Lip/Clown bc my LFS has them and they're ADORABLE!

MsMarch
Oh okay. Just assumed you meant common, but those are smaller types so you should be fine. Also I totally agree-- super adorable. That sounds like a super fun tank.

Tylcas
Also I totally agree-- super adorable. That sounds like a super fun tank.
Yep!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gattaca401
  • Question
Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy