Which Cory would you pick?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Mully60, Jul 21, 2015.

1. M

Mully60 Valued Member Member

Hi,

I recently cycled my new 55 gallon tank and I'm slowly starting to stock it. I currently have 15 harlequin rasbora and 4 praecox rainbow. I'm now looking to add some cories. I was at my LFS yesterday and they had just received a shipment of fish. There were three types of cories that stood out to me. They were the Sterbai, Julii, and Panda. I was just wondering which were your favorite or find to be most interesting/active? I'm looking to get six but from my understanding the pandas are a little smaller so i would probably go with 8 of them.

Like I said it's a 55 gallon. I have a white sand substrate. Moderately planted along with some driftwood. I keep my water around 76 degrees.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The sterbai would not work because they are warmer water cories. The other two would work but I heard pandas are not as hardy as some other cories though.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I have julii cories and i think they're adorable! i'm getting sterbais for my 55 because i need to keep the temperature up at 80 and they can handle (or maybe they do better) the higher temps. i say get the juliis!

4. OP
    OP
    M

I have heard the same about the pandas. I read on seriouslyfish that Sterbai will do well in 75-82 degree water. So the 76 would be pushing to low then i guess? I do really like the Julii so I'll definitely consider them!

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

My personal favorites are pandas, but I didn't have good luck keeping them. My experience they are sensitive.

I would pick Sterbais or Albinos

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

76F is pretty much the top of the temp range for both Pandas & the Julii, which btw are most likely trilineatus, & at the bottom for sterbai.
    Both the praecox & the harlequins can go up in temperature, if you raised it to 78ish then I'd go with the sterbai.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd go with what Coradee said, she's very knowledgeable about cories :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks Coradee, that's good to know. Now I have a tough decision on if I should lower, or raise by temperature a bit.

The pandas are also tank raised. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Just gonna add my two cents and say that I LOVE my julii cories! I've also owned albino cories, and they basically act the same way from what I remember, always darting around and then suddenly stopping and then keep going lol! Don't forget the sinking wafers/pellets for them!

10. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

I think julii cories are my favorite....or one of my favorites! I also love the pandas, they are adorable. My LFS had a lot of them last time I was there and they won me over.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually came home from work today with a little surprise in my tank! My girlfriend surprised me with 6 Sterbais!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    M

Here are two quick pictures. I'll try to get more later.

Attached Files:

13. BornThisWayBettas

How sweet of her! Congrats, such cute little cories! :)

14. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! I am pretty excited! They are very hyper haha

15. BornThisWayBettas

Oh yes, I love the hyperactive ways of cories lol!

16. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Did you raise your temp a little for them?

17. OP
    OP
    M

I did, I raised my temp to 78. I think that should be good. If not, I could go up another degree or two.

18. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

78 sounds good for your new cories.

19. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Nice surprise! I have 6 sterbais too and I love em.

20. fledge

fledge New Member Member

I have six julis and six pandas. I keep my tank in the 76-79 degree area and they are both doing awesome. I love how they are very active not just on the bottom but darting up to the top also. They tend to shoal 3 to a group with an occasional mixed group of 4 or 5. Easily my favorite fish!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice