Which Cory Cats should I get?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by GuentherAndrew, Aug 4, 2015.

1. G

GuentherAndrew Valued Member Member

Hello all!

As a kid, I had a 49 gallon aquarium that my dad and I worked on together. I just got a 20-gallon (high) for my birthday from my partner and now I'm getting back into the swing of things! Currently I have my tank cycled and I have 6 long-finned zebra danios and a neon blue dwarf gourami. All are healthy and doing well. The danios are going to go to my sister in the future (they produce too much waste for my liking and I prefer slower fish, I mainly used them to stabilize my tank).

I'm considering getting some cory cats as some bottom dwellers. I just wanted to know what cory cats you personally recommend and how many I should get for a 20-high tank?

Thanks! :;thx

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

For a 20 gallon high tank I would think that only the smaller corys would have enough swimming room. Try pygmy corys or panda corys. Coradee is our Cory expert.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    There are several smaller species of cory that would be ok in a 20 high, which would be best will depend on what other fish are going to be in the tank as some of the smaller species such as pandas & trilineatus prefer cooler temperature.

4. OP
    OP
    G

I just looked up pygmy corys (Corydoras hastatus) on Fishlore and they said 77-82 degrees F is fine for them, which would fit with the rest of my tank. Do you recommend them?

5. Coradee

Hastatus are more a mid level dweller that would be close to the top of their temperature range, you could look at adolfoi or Duplicareus , both would be ok at that temp & only get a little over 2"

6. OP
    OP
    G

Would you recommend getting at least 4 of those?

7. Coradee

Corys are a shoaling fish so a group of at least 6 is best

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed, at least 6 cories of the same species.
    All schooling fish should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice