Which circulation pump?

ArtFish

Hey, I have a 20 gallon planted tank with co2 and I’m only running a sponge filter which means my co2 doesn't get spread around my tank.
I looked at the fluval CP1 pump but it says it’s for saltwater and I wonder if I can use it for freshwater.

I don’t want to much flow but enough to get the water moving around a bit. I also don’t want to get a HOB or canister filter since it doesn’t look nice in the tank so I decided to look into the circulation pumps.

What brands would you recommend for me?

GlennO

If you got a canister the only thing in the tank would be an inlet tube & outlet which is much less than a sponge filter + circulation pump.

But there are lots of options. For e.g. instead of a circulation pump you could get a small internal power filter which would provide the circulation plus some extra filtration. Or you can attach a sponge to some circulation pumps.

Upvote 0

ArtFish

I’ve used a canister before and it was somewhat complicated, it might’ve been the specific one I got since it didn’t work well and was very loud.

I could get the internal filter, they Don’t look like they give much flow (from what shows up when I look it up)
I’ll look into it more though

Also for the fluval circulation pump I mentioned earlier. It says it’s for saltwater which I would think works for freshwater but do you know anything about those? Can I use it for freshwater or is it only saltwater
If you dont know that’s ok just wondering.

Upvote 0

Fisch

You mentioned it earlier, why not put a power head to your sponge filter. There are many cost efficient options out there.
Canisters are easy and quiet, but they have a lot of flow.

Upvote 0

ArtFish

How would I put a power head on my sponge filter? Or what would it look like? I haven't really seen it or head of it.

Upvote 0

Fisch

This shows how to install one, inspired me.
Just search for powerhead on sponge filter and you get tons of information

Upvote 0

GlennO

An Eheim Classic 2213 would be my choice of canister for a planted 20 gal. A powerhead on the sponge filter as suggested above is a good cheap alternative. Provides some circulation and enables you to get rid of the air pump. I hate those noisy things! I have that setup on my 7 gal shrimp tank that I'm currently cycling:

IMG_3052.jpg

Upvote 0

ArtFish

Do you think a Powerhead will fit on top of my sponge filter?
Should I get a shorter/smaller sponge filter and just get two of them so I can fit a Powerhead on one of them? And if I get a smaller one will it be too small for the Powerhead to fit on?
BE118F5C-CC67-4A8B-8179-0503F1AF2D91.jpeg

I’m also trying to figure out which brand to get.
Some are for really big tanks or Some it’s not clear if they are made to attach to sponge filters.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Most powerheads have adjustable flow control although you don't want to go too overboard and waste power. I have a 265 GPH (11W) circulator on my 64 gal tank and the powerhead on the little 7 gal tank above is 50 GPH (2.5W). You'd probably want something in between for 20 gal.

They should be fully submerged so you might have to cut off some of the tube on your sponge filter.

Upvote 0

Inactive

GlennO what kind of powerhead is that in your picture? Does it have an adjustable flow rate?

Upvote 0

GlennO

GlennO what kind of powerhead is that in your picture? Does it have an adjustable flow rate?

Yes the knob that you can see on the outlet can be adjusted to control flow. It's the tiniest powerhead I could find for such a small tank that will only have shrimp in it. Hailea PT-200.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Monio347
Replies
Views
Miccoh Mendoza
Replies
Views
SLeroux