Which Carpet Would Be Easiest To Maintain?

EbiAqua

I'm resetting my 2 gallon due to the Monte Carlo carpet completely turning to algae-covered yellow mush. I've replaced the substrate and set up a new dragon stone aquascape with fewer tight spots so trimming is easier.

I am also getting a new CO2 regulator and an adapter so I can use a 24oz paintball tank. I have a 5 pound CO2 canister but it is bulky, ugly, and cumbersome (not to mention empty). It is also easier for me to refill the paintball tank since there are no gas exchange shops close by.

I have all of my CO2 equipment, a light with 6 intensity settings, and am using NilocG Thrive S.

Here is the main point of my post: I want a carpet that won't choke itself out easily. I like the look of HC and have kept it before, but I am worried it will suffer the fate of my Monte Carlo and kill itself by shading out lower portions of the carpet. In that regard, would dwarf hairgrass be a better option? Any advice is appreciated.

Bryangar

DHG would probably be a better option in that case. Unless you keep your maintenance on point, to prevent the HC from shading the bottom portion. Then you can do that. I don’t think that happens with DHG, but you would have to trim every now and then to keep it clean.

EbiAqua

DHG would probably be a better option in that case. Unless you keep your maintenance on point, to prevent the HC from shading the bottom portion. Then you can do that. I don’t think that happens with DHG, but you would have to trim every now and then to keep it clean.

Here is a pic of the hardscape, it's 2 gallons. Would DHG do alright?

photo_2018-10-03_11-32-27.jpg

imba

Hmm... Looking at the scape. I would do HC with regular trimming. DHG would do ok, but it would overwhelm the scape IMO. For such a small scale scape, I really think HC would look more in place.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
Tenoch
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views