Which canister filter

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So now that my parents won't buge on getting more tanks, I'm going to start saving up for expensive equipment so my fish can have the best care. One of the first things I'll get is a canister filter to replace my HOB filter, I will keep the HOB as a spare though. Currently I have been able to find the magnum and fluval's by me. I'll keep looking for an eheim as that's the type I'd like to get but which fluval/magnum should I get for my 29 gallon tank, is there a rule to picking out how gph it should have? O I know there's a way but how does it stop siphoning water in a power failure?

thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Atm, how large is your tank for which you want a canister filter? Believe me, if it's not a big tank, you don't need a canister. A good HOB filter can do an excellent job for you. I bought a canister because I just want to try it. But if there were no canisters available, I would be perfectly fine with 2 large Aqua Clear HOBs over my 75 gallon tank. If your tank is not big, why not get a good Aqua Clear? I can personally assure you that it is an excellent filter. I just purchased one for my 10 gallon tank (to replace the old and loud Whisper Tetra).

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I have a penguin bio-wheel but my parents don't really want me running two HOB filters so my best bet would be to buy a canister filter. I'v just read that canister filters are superior to HOB because you can choose all the media you want to put in there, and yes they may not be all that better but I'd like to provide the best optimal environment for the fish since I can't get another tank.

p.s. I called a lfs and they said if I came up and paid them they could special order a eheim for me. Any particular one I should save for, probably eco or professional?

slimNZ

Reaction score
If you are into cheaper canister filter you can have a look at AquaOne. Not sure they are avaialble in US. Although it is not self priming, all you need to do is fill it up to the top, close the priming hatch and turn it on.
I am using Aqua One CF500 canister filter (125g/h) on my new 18g tank. I don't think it is overkill consider the baby canister cost only a bit more to a HOB but with double the filter media space. My old HOB is pushing more water but it is more of a waterfall maker. The almost silent noise level is also a big plus. My reason of getting a canister is I wanted a filter system that will continue to clean the tank when I am away on holiday. Getting someone reliable to feed the fish is hard enough, getting someone to change the water.. . I won't count on it.
As I only has the AquaOne for a month, I can't say about its long term reliability. I did a some research before buying and majority of user are happy with it.
Have fun ;D

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmm. thanks, not finding a whole lot on that one though I think I'm going to go with an eheim as it's supposedly the best and I'm gona save up for it.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why don't your parents want another HOB? HOBs are CHEAPER than canisters, and Aqua Clear HOB is VERY silent.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some how, I don't know how but when I put on my spare bio-wheel that I had picked up real cheap on sale my dad said he heard a humming noise from downstairs at his desk which is directly under my room. I don't know how he hears it but he likes quiet. The other reason is they think two filters will take up a lot of electricity. Other reason is that I'd like to raise baby BN in this tank since I can't get another one and I don't want to get rid off all my fish and canisters have lots of filter media and since I can't get another HOB filter and I don't want an internal it seems like it's the best way to go. Other is since I can't get another tank and I'm not too sure if I can convince them to get higher lighting, spending extra money on a canister filter won't be a big deal, well after I save some for college LOL

BristolBulldog

Reaction score
if your looking for cheap, go for an eheim copy on ebay. yes it sounds bad. I replaced my fluval 304 with one. flowrate is 1200lph in my 4ft tank. Its totally silent, and all the fixings were good as well (including spraybar). it has 5 filter baskets as well. It may be overkill for your tank, but they do others. I got mine for £35 delivered in auction. i'd rate it better than my fluval, purely down to the fact it does te job much better, is constructed so it can be serviced easier, and it holds 20 litres of additional water to the main tank.

sick-lid boy

Reaction score
I have two Magnum 350s (one in each of my larger tanks) and I have no real complaints. I was considering an EheI'm for my 80 gallon, but I couldn't see paying twice as much just because it was 'supposed' to be the best. Besides, it's nice to have all the extra accessories and parts I never had before since my first Magnum was used (came with my 55 gallon tank). The magnums work great. They are quiet and do the job. The only minor complaint I have is they are kind of tough to clean without spilling a little water... but if I'm very careful, the spillage in minimal. The Magnum 350 Deluxe model also comes with a great gravel cleaner that works superbly... just attach it to the intake tube, and all the junk is vacuumed right into the filter. Also has a 'water polisher' that I have yet to use. For around $85 at PetSmart, it is a great value for a canister filter.

Of course, these are only canister filters I have ever used, so I have nothing to compare them to....

New Threads