Which Brand Of Filter Is Best Canister

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI & welcome, first I'm going to say the obvious I'm afraid, a 20 gallon is way too small for 3 plecs (even pitbulls or bristles noses) having said that you've got them & plecs are poop machines, they have a BIG bio-load so go with the filter which has the biggest litres / gallons per hour rate you're going to need it.

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seasoldier said:
go with the filter which has the biggest litres / gallons per hour rate you're going to need it.
I would think it more important to get the one with the most room for media. As long as flow is adequate, you want the filter with the most room for bacteria. Design would also play big in my decision. Something that allows muck to settle in the bottom of the filter is going to be able to go longer between cleanings than one where the heavy muck is collected on the filter media directly, causing it to clog earlier.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think flow and room for bacteria are two very important factors, especially with the bioload of 2 plecos. IMO an upgrade is in order to give those guys more room.

If two or more males, you will have aggression issues as they grow. They need space for their own territories. I don't put more than 2 in a 75 gallon and was apprehensive about keeping 3 males in a 125g keeping a very close eye on them for a while after adding the 3rd. I had to separate males and females to stop the breeding, which could become another bioload issue. Having 30-50 additional little plecos can really add to it.

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JayH said:
I would think it more important to get the one with the most room for media. As long as flow is adequate, you want the filter with the most room for bacteria. Design would also play big in my decision. Something that allows muck to settle in the bottom of the filter is going to be able to go longer between cleanings than one where the heavy muck is collected on the filter media directly, causing it to clog earlier.
I agree media is important but the OP is talking a canister filter which usually have room for multiple media types & even with limited space if you choose the right media you can still get a really good BB colony going, I still believe with 3 plecs the flow rate is going to top the 'importance list' to keep the water clean.

Just looked up the two filters the OP was mentioning & for a 20 gallon they're both overkill for filtration but I'd go with the 360 it's big, has loads of room for different media & has the best flow rate 360 GPH rated for up to 100 gallon & if the OP intends to keep the plecs they're going to need a bigger tank so the 360 would be transferable.

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seasoldier said:
I agree media is important but the OP is talking a canister filter which usually have room for multiple media types & even with limited space if you choose the right media you can still get a really good BB colony going, I still believe with 3 plecs the flow rate is going to top the 'importance list' to keep the water clean.
Both space for media and effective flow rate are important factors. What I was trying to say is that given a choice between one canister that has an effective flow rate of 20x tank volume and another with an effective flow rate of 5x tank volume but twice the space for media, I'd go with the slower, larger option. Reality is that you're probably not going to run into such extremes, but there are definitely big differences in the media space in various canister models intended for tanks in the same size range. Don't get hung up just looking at flow rate when shopping. Media space is at least as important.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amount of bacteria is directly proportional to bioload. I think at a certain point extra bio-capactiy or media would no longer matter. For instance, when someone upgrades their tank from a smaller one to a larger one, while fish and filter remain the same, the only benefit to that is the fish would have more space and more water. Upgrading the filter for extra bio-capacity would be pointless. The only reason one would upgrade is for the higher gph, and therefore more effective mechanical filtration. I do think stronger flow and greater gph would then be more desirable than having more bio media.

I think most people overestimate the amount of media required to effectively process ammonnia and nitrite (and sometimes nitrate). After all, many people used and still use sponge filters--soley--to do dual duties. That is, mechanical and biological.

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JayH said:
Both space for media and effective flow rate are important factors. What I was trying to say is that given a choice between one canister that has an effective flow rate of 20x tank volume and another with an effective flow rate of 5x tank volume but twice the space for media, I'd go with the slower, larger option. Reality is that you're probably not going to run into such extremes, but there are definitely big differences in the media space in various canister models intended for tanks in the same size range. Don't get hung up just looking at flow rate when shopping. Media space is at least as important.
With an external canister filter which the OP is talking about not really they all have plenty of room for filter media (look up the two being mentioned), in this case with the possibility of a big bio-load flow rate is definitely more important.

OP
D

dbhoyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thank for the responses

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jack B Nimble said:
I have a penn plax 1000 they are very affordable and work great, I recall on Amazon under 70 bucks.
Hello, if you fo go w/penn plax 1000 they have a sm flaw. Media trays do not fit snug & water flows around media instead of through it(water will follow path of least resistance).
I have 2 & its an easy fix. Simply pack some fiber fill around media trays to redirect flow. Other than that its an excellent filter for price(keeps my 55 & 75gal crystal. Hope this helps you!!!!!
1562422554396.jpg

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just bought a Fluval 407, their new serie. I really like it a lot, it’s easy to set-up, easy to prime, lots of room for biological and mechanical media and good filtration.

For a 20 gallon, I would get the 207 (121gal US/h). It would be enough for a 30-35 gallons too, if you ever upgrade.

spn1025

Reaction score
Is it a 20 gallon long or tall tank? For that many fish, a long might be alright for now, but I’d still upgrade to maybe a 40gal tank.

20 gallon tall tank I’d upgrade ASAP.

OP
D

dbhoyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I bought the Marineland Magniflow 360 Canister Filter and need a few tips in tube length and attaching the intake/output to the tubing? Thanks

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
dbhoyle said:
I bought the Marineland Magniflow 360 Canister Filter and need a few tips in tube length and attaching the intake/output to the tubing? Thanks
You want to have the hoses as short as possible so the path from the canister to the tank is as direct as you can get it. I leave a little bit of slack in mine just in case I need to do some slight re-positioning.

Not sure what your questions are about attaching pieces to the tubing. There should be instructions with the canister. I do not own a Marineland Magniflow so no experience to offer there.

New Threads