Which bleach for rocks

Phildaint

Hi, I have a lot of rocks from an old aquarium and I’d like to clean them before putting them back into my new setup, which is the best bleach or chemicals to go for, to kill off algae and snails etc

I know it must be uscented but I can’t find anything in my local shops so I will
Have to order online (uk based )

thanks

86 ssinit

Plain bleach used at a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts water to one part bleach. Let’s them sit there for 10min to 1/2hour than let dry for a few days. Drying in the sun is best. Rinse and use as needed .

MacZ

Be cautious, some rocks may absorb the stuff and leach it to the water later. Definitely don't use for sand or limestone.

RayClem

MacZ said:
Be cautious, some rocks may absorb the stuff and leach it to the water later. Definitely don't use for sand or limestone.
I agree, I would not use any type of bleach to soak rocks. Most rocks are porous and will trap residual bleach.
The two safest cleaning chemicals would be aquarium salt (rock salt, Kosher salt) and vinegar. You can combine them if you wish.

A201

A hot water soaking in a five gallon bucket & a good scrubbing with a wire aquarium utility brush has worked well for me.
Vinegar is often used to clean aquarium decor, but IMO, usually not really needed unless dealing with a severe situation.

ForceTen

Bleach is fine. Regular bleach. I soak overnight or longer. I rinse very well and then soak in Prime treated water as long as possible.
Never had an issue yet.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom