Which are better?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by littletuba, Dec 16, 2012.

1. littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

I am thinking about getting some cherry shrimp or some ghost shrimp when I start my tank back up. It is more than likely going to be a 10 gallon. I am hoping to have either guppies or tetras. I am still deciding on the fish. Would it make a difference which shrimp I have?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Cherry shrimp are smaller and will breed more readily, but are much more expensive. Ghost shrimp are not so easily seen, hence the name, and are larger. Some species of ghost shrimp can get aggressive and can attack fish. In a smaller tank, there is a higher chance of that happening. I've never had a problem with my ghost shrimp, but it's happened to others.

I would get cherry shrimp. There are also yellow cherry shrimp, fyi

3. OP
    OP
    littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

Thank you

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You're welcome.

Don't mix the red and yellow though - I hear they breed brown (not orange :) )

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

WHAT!?!?! All that stuff I learned about primary colors in grade school was a lie!

6. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

But there ARE orange ones! Orange pumpkin shrimp, and they're absolutely GORGEOUS. <3

7. c

chenay83 New Member Member

I would definitely go with cherry shrimp. They may cost more but they breed a lot and the group you buy will pay for its self in no time.

8. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

We were actually thinking of buying 20 from ZeeZ and then splitting them between us. Every now and again we will trade shrimp just to add genetic diversity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice