Which are best plants?

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

So far my plants seem to be doing fine. I have a couple of amazon swords. I add plant fertilizer once every two weeks. I wonder if they'd live without any fertilizer? I have a standard light. Besides, does anyone know which plants are easiest to maintain? Which ones live long and don't need any fertilizers? Which are both attractive in appearance and easy to maintain? Just curious. Thanks for any replies :)

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

I have problems with plants and would also like to know which are good, easily maintainable. My Featherfin catfish is too rigourous when looking for food and often uproots mine. The plants at the stores here rarely already have roots

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Isabella,
    I have amazon swords in one of my tanks, & I don't fertilize them. They are higher light plants, so don't expect a lot of growth with standard lighting. I would suggest you purchase low light plants in the future which will make maintenance much easier, and they will stay green in your tank. Here's a great article on getting started with plants, and also a link for low light plants:

Setting up your first planted tank

Low Light Plants

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Gunnie again. You are such a help! You seem to know very much about aquariums, fish, and plants. You must have been maintaining aquarium(s) for quite a while now? As for my amazon swords, I guess it is only a matter of time when they'll die if they're harder to maintain. Once they do, I will look for the plants from the website you have recommended. Thank you.

5. onelovie Member Member

I have a couple of amazon sword plants in my 55 gallon plus a couple of other plants which I can't recall the name of (helpful, I know). Those plants have grown SO much since I got them. They started out at about five inches each and now both have grown to within an inch or two of the top of the tank! I do add fertilizer every week, I'm not sure if it makes a difference in growth because I've just always added it! I assume it probably helps. I should try to find what the other plant is called because it seems like it is a pretty hardy, fast growing plant.