Which aquarium to get, long or tall?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by xMatt58, Mar 26, 2010.

1. x

xMatt58 New Member Member

Hey everybody right now I have a 10 gallon tank and am going to upgrade very soon but have a question, would it be better to get a longer tank or a taller tank? Right now I'm still working on the Nitrogen Cycle in my 10 gallon so it will be a while before I get some fish but am just curious for my new tank... thanks everyone.

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Well it all depends on what fish you want for example:

-Schooling fish(tetras, rasbora, ect.) need long tanks so they have room to move around.
    -Tall fish like angels prefer tall tanks.
    -For some fish it really dosent matter like for Livebearers.

So it all depends on what you want in that futur tank,

So i ask you whats the plan man?

Phil :)

3. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore xMatt58 !!!!!! first thing we need to know is what type of fish your going to keep?:;dete
    guess i was slow on this one...lol

4. OP
    OP
    x

Oh, sorry... I'll probably be getting a couple of Danios, (spelling?) and 3-4 Leopard Corys... those are what I was recommended by a friend earlier so those will be my first couple.

5. p

Ya with fish like that I'd deffinately go with the long tank.

By the way corries and danios are schooling fish so gets those numbers up!

6. OP
    OP
    x

Alright, thanks.
    I'm still cycling my tank and everything so it will be a while for me to get fish, and I've been reading that the API Masters Kit is the best for testing levels, can it be bought in petsmart/petco? I've searched their websites but can't find them. =/

7. p

No you pretty much need to order it, and no problem!

Phil : )

8. OP
    OP
    x

Also if I may ask while I'm here, once I do have fish, how do I go about adding water into the tank after I do my weekly 25% or so water changes? I'm still a little confused on that.

9. p

I use a five gallon bucket but some people use pythons but i dunno how those things work never had one :/

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    I've seen the API master kit at Petsmart. Petco carries another liquid brand. Sorry, Can't remember which one but other members use different liquid kits and are pleased with them. Just avoid the strips.

A lot of independently owned stores carry it.
    That best price I've seen on line is walmart.com.

I prefer long tanks. There's a good amount of swim space.

Good luck!

Edit: I carry the water to the tank in a 5g bucket, then use a smaller pitcher to add water to the tank.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  11. OP
    OP
    x

Awesome thanks, yeah tomorrow I was going to head down to a independent store and check them out because they don't have a real website to search. :p
    But I guess I'm going to go for a long tank, thanks for the help everyone!

12. p

13. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

API Master Kits are the best. Big Al's has them at a good price. The link is at the top of this page.

I use a python for my tanks. They are great, but a bit difficult to keep clean. They make tank cleaning quick and easy. I have one to take the dirty water out and another to put the clean water back in. About once a month I pour some bleach in the bathtub with some water and use the pythons to siphon the water to clean the hoses. If you get the shorter hoses, it isn't as difficult to keep them clean.

14. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

If you want to go with Danios (great fish!) then I reccommend going with the 20 long, they are active! :) Just a note, they will go down to the bottom when you drop algae wafer or shrimp pellots for the Corys, since you said you wanted to get those too and the Danios will peck at their food (mine do). Best to feed the Corys when lights out if you have a problem and if you get the Corys. lol

:;ufo

15. OP
    OP
    x

Ok, but just a question about something, when you say best to feed Corys when the lights are out, would you suggest very early in the morning, like 6 AM and then 9 or so at night?
    And also just if I could get some clarification when I clean the water, how do I warm it up before putting it back in the tank? I don't want my future fish to freeze to death, lol.

16. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

To answer your warm water question first most people new to fish keeping wonder about that (myself included) but the answer is obvious. Just mix hot and cold water from your faucet. I got an instant read meat therometer and hold it under the stream to get it to the right temperature, then just fill the bucket.

As far as feeding your cories, they will eat any food left on the bottom that your danios might miss. Then you can also feed them at night when you turn your tank light off for the night. Most (all?) catfish are really nocternal anyway and just become conditioned to eat when the lights are on in an aquarium.

17. c

claudicles Well Known Member Member

Filling your tank with a watering can is a gentle way to go. It helps not make things too turbulent in your tank (although that won't bother the danios) but it also stops you from disturbing you plants, gravel and ornaments.

18. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

the local petsmart here in the florida panhandle carries the API master kit for around 35 dollars, your LFS should carry it or something equivalent to it. Take care!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice