• Apistogramma Ortegai

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • WILD Apistogramma Agassizi Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WILD Apistogramma Panduro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Katie13
I've got an empty 20H to stock. I'm thinking a pair of Apistos. I can adjust pH and water hardness for the wild caught species. Weather is decent for shipping for right now, so I'd like to order them by Monday. I've got 5 choices I'd like opinions on.

Edit: I have narrowed it down to WILD Apistogramma Agassizi- blue or Apistogramma OrtegaI unless I find something new on AquaBid that I love.

Apistogramma BorellI - Opal

Apistogramma BorellI - Blue

Apistogramma Ortegai

WILD Apistogramma AgassizI - Blue

WILD Apistogramma Panduro

Katie13
I think I have it narrowed down to the Apistogramma Ortegai, wild Apistogramma AgassizI blue, or wild Apistogramma Panduro. Thoughts?

Katie13
JamieXPXP Mary765 Dave125g jenmur thoughts?

JamieXPXP
I really like how the ortegaI looks although I also like the opal and AgassiziI blue

Katie13
Anyone else? I'm down to the wild blue Apistogramma AgassizI or Apistogramma Ortegai. toeknee Greg F david1978 WanhiBetta DarkOne

david1978
I guess it comes down to your personal preference and the look your going for.

75g Discus Tank
I'd get all.

JK but if you had the space, I would go for all of them!
My personal apistogramma preference is the apistogramma cacatuides triple red.

I would do whatever calls to you.

Katie13
I'd get all.

JK but if you had the space, I would go for all of them!
My personal apistogramma preference is the apistogramma cacatuides triple red.

I would do whatever calls to you.
I love Apistogramma Cacatuoides, but they're fairly common here. Which of the two (wild AgassizI or the Ortegai) would you go with?

Katie13
I guess it comes down to your personal preference and the look your going for.
I love them both. I can't decide.

WanhiBetta
I really like the wild blue Apistogramma Agassizi! So cute

yukondog
Of the two you picked for me it would be the agassizi, I seen where dave is giving away free apisto Hippolytae, shoot him a PM on his sight and you could get a extra pair for free, I have a breeding pair of Opal BarelliI and Hongsloi and I really like the Borellii, good luck. If you want send me a PM and I'll let you know the sight I saw it on [don't want to get kicked off because I mentioned another sight].

Katie13
Of the two you picked for me it would be the agassizi, I seen where dave is giving away free apisto Hippolytae, shoot him a PM on his sight and you could get a extra pair for free, I have a breeding pair of Opal BarelliI and Hongsloi and I really like the Borellii, good luck. If you want send me a PM and I'll let you know the sight I saw it on [don't want to get kicked off because I mentioned another sight].
I’m waiting on a response back from him.

yukondog
Hope everything goes great, good luck.

Katie13
Hope everything goes great, good luck.
Thank you! Dave said he has plenty of the Hippolytae available!

Katie13
yukondog I'm already on that site. He told me to get as many of the Hippolytae as I want.

yukondog
I wish he had some A. Bitaeniata females, I need two for my males, good luck.

yukondog
In that case I may need to shoot him message, I thought it was just two. I seem to be on a apisto craze right now. The wife doesn't know I snuck another tank in yesterday, one of my work shops has turned into a breeding shop now, all my benches are covered with tanks, good thing I have two shops.

Katie13
In that case I may need to shoot him message, I thought it was just two. I seem to be on a apisto craze right now. The wife doesn't know I snuck another tank in yesterday, one of my work shops has turned into a breeding shop now, all my benches are covered with tanks, good thing I have two shops.
I love dwarf cichlids in general. I've got a breeding pair of GBRs preparing for their second spawn now, so I'm looking forward to adding Apistos to my list.

Katie13
yukondog how many of the Hippolytae would you get? I'm stuck between a pair or a trio!

yukondog
I've been following you on your rams and angels, I started with kribs and still have a pair of albinos I'm trying to get going but the female is not ready to play [ mother is in the avatar pic.].
I ordered a male BorelliI from Dave, I guessing it the [Bella Union] as that was the only one he showed on his sight, invoice just said male Borellii, my female is a Opal they breed and laid on 3/15 now I have around 50 fry, Opal Union's?

yukondog
If your going to breed them I would go for more, that way you can let them pair up and rehome the rest if you want, are they harem breeders?

Katie13
I've been following you on your rams and angels, I started with kribs and still have a pair of albinos I'm trying to get going but the female is not ready to play [ mother is in the avatar pic.].
I ordered a male BorelliI from Dave, I guessing it the [Bella Union] as that was the only one he showed on his sight, invoice just said male Borellii, my female is a Opal they breed and laid on 3/15 now I have around 50 fry, Opal Union's?
My German Blue Rams spawning was a surprised. I had her in a tank with 3 other females and 2 males for about 8 months without her ever pairing. I lost the others a few months ago. I saw a gorgeous male that I couldn't resist getting at my LFS. He went into the Discus tank and I decided to add her to. About a month and a half later and surprise, eggs!

Katie13
If your going to breed them I would go for more, that way you can let them pair up and rehome the rest if you want, are they harem breeders?
Hopefully I'll luck out and the OrtegaI will spawn, if not I'll get two more females. The goal isn't really spawning for the Hippolytae, but I wouldn't object to it. When you get breeders, they tend to be either pairs or trios.

yukondog
To be honest I just jumped on the apisto bandwagon here not to long ago, chromdome or others would know more.

Katie13
To be honest I just jumped on the apisto bandwagon here not to long ago, chromdome or others would know more.
That's still more experience with them than I have.

Domenico
Hi
I'm new here, and I'm from Italy, my English isn't well, but I try to write correctly.
I already have an aquarium . Now, I'll take a second tank.
Probably it will be a 12 or 15 gallons aka 45-60 liters. I don't know if you use gallon or liter.
My favorite apistos are borellii, macmasteri and agassizzii. I've never had a ciclid.
I can take borellii or agassizzii in the phisical shop, and macmasteri online.
I know that borellii are the most quiet, agassizzii little devils.
Which ones do you recommend?
Bye

MacZ
In that tank size, don't get a pair, just get one fish. All of them may have to be separated at some point, if you get a pair.
That way you still have free choice and a group of dither fish like tetras will fit into the tank aswell.

Domenico
In that tank size, don't get a pair, just get one fish. All of them may have to be separated at some point, if you get a pair.
That way you still have free choice and a group of dither fish like tetras will fit into the tank aswell.
In my main tank I've 18 cpd.
In many famous Italian sites, I've read that a pair of borellii can stay in a 50x30x30 centimeters tank, agassizzii and macmasteri in 60x30x30.
Is false? o_O

MacZ
CPDs have a completely different behaviour than cichlids.

It's neither false nor true. It depends on several factors. The German sites also give similar measurements as the bare minimum, but you have to take in account: Cichlids are generally more aggressive towards their own, Apistogramma are also territorial and as long as the females are not in breeding mode they get chased by the males a lot. Depending on the species that can switch to the opposite as soon as the pair has spawned and she starts guarding the eggs.
I'd rather get a tank with a footprint of 80x30 or 80x40.

Domenico
Apistogramma are also territorial
For this my choice went to borellii. It seems that they're the most quiet.
(excuse me for possible English errors, but I'm not English or American, now I'm only learning the language at school)

MacZ
For this my choice went to borellii. It seems that they're the most quiet.
(excuse me for possible English errors, but I'm not English or American, now I'm only learning the language at school)

I would advice for A. borellii, too. You are not wrong there.

(It's fine, I'm also not a native speaker.)

Domenico
would advice for A. borellii
So I can't put borellii in 60x30x30?
Maybe the next winter I'll move cpds in a smaller tank because they're 2/3 y/o, and probably some of they will die in the summer, despite I use Pc Fan.
In this case, I can put a pair of apistogramma in the biggest tank (80x30x45 centimeters)

MacZ
That was meant to say: IF any Apistogramma, do borellii.
In the end your choice.

Domenico
IF any Apistogramma, do borellii
Thanks for all your answers. I think that I'll decide soon, but now I'm not sure.

MacZ
Rule of thump: If possible always keep fish in a tank one size larger than the recommended minimum.

TClare
I do agree that a bigger tank would be much better for a Apistogramma pair, they can be amazingly aggressive for such small fish...(I have not had any experience with borellii though). But if you do go ahead, make sure there are plenty of caves for hiding places.

Domenico
make sure there are plenty of caves for hiding places
Oh yes. It will be in the biggest tank too

Top Bottom