Which Angels?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by ncje, May 13, 2006.

1. ncjeValued MemberMember

Ok so Ive just passed from one tank to another.... so I have three now (two months ago I had a 10 gallon with 3 guppies :S) anyhoo, just got a free 50 gallon, Ive placed everything in there filters the lot (water yes). Well all except one filter which ive kept on the 20 gallon, it has the guppies in it. The 50 has 4 brilliant rummy nose tetras and my 3 angels (not so big at this stage). I want to put another 3 small angels in. The hope is i get two pairs who can then generally inhabit the tank on thier own, so there will eventually be just 4 angels (the rummy nose go to my bros in law next week).

OK so my LFS is huge, it has 15 types of angel alone. So if you have an angel that you think is particularly cool please let me know and why. The LFS has 15 types of angel........all very small size so hard to tell what the final result would be.

Look forward to your replies!

2. ncjeValued MemberMember

Please help me! If you love your angel, can you tell me the type.. just name is fine! Thanks again

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I have Koi Angels, Black lace Angels And marble Angels. the Black lace seemed more aggressive. Now the angels that you see in the Lfs are usually Pterophyllum scalare. Just the color and design is different. So pick the color you like :)
    Is the 59G cycled? If not please cycle before adding anymore fish.
    Carol

4. OsirisNew MemberMember

If you can find some koi angels with nice colors, then I would go with those.  That's what I wanted originally, but all the koi's my favorite LFS ever got in were mostly white with very little colors.  So I went to another LFS and found my marbled angels, which I really love the look of.  Lately they've had some wild-caught angels which would be even better because they have a different look to them.  Some people like the blushers too.  I just prefer more coloration.   

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

My koi angels have alot of color on them, and thats why I like them. Wild caught angels ar a little harder to take care of.
    Carol

6. ncjeValued MemberMember

The 50g tank was cleaned, I then removed vacuumed sand from original tank and placed inside. I then emptied half water from original tank into new. I then removed one filter and added to 50g (filter is eheim canister rated for 100g), I then placed in a new tetra brillant (love these they keep the water so crystal clear without chemicals). I then added most of the plants. (Heater was running to keep same temp as original tank). I then transferred the fish.

Topped up both tanks with new water.

Everyone is happy!

7. ncjeValued MemberMember

Angels really love baby guppies. Just before I split my tank stock both females were huge, but after isolating one fat one for a few days and nothing I put her back. Only to see one female happily thinner the day of the change and one giving birth. I only noticed cause the angels were hanging of her like a leech, on looking I watched little rolled up guppies come out and straight into hungry mouths. I did seperate her but the last two I saw go down the hungry bellies must have been the last as no more came.

One the upside my angels in their new home and with stomachs full of guppies really have shone in the last few days, one has just become incredibly beautiful.

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If you have a pair of angels live food and a big water change will make them spawn ;)
    Carol

9. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I love my koi angels!  I also like the sunset blushers and the clown and leopard angels. 

25.jpg

26.jpg

10. ncjeValued MemberMember

Gunnie as you know I dont have experience with angels.. however Im going to assume (from the nauchal hump) the top picture is male?

11. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Could be. Angels are very hard to sex unless you actually see them spawning. I think this angel is the odd one in my tank. I have 5 of them in my 55 gal. and 2 pair out of that group.

12. ncjeValued MemberMember

Got my three new angels yesterday... I will get some pics up soon. Tank is clean... 0 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia GH 4-5 KH 2d PH 6.8. Their all looking healthy thus far.

13. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Gunnie, beautiful angelfish pictures :)

Ncje, I wish my LFS had so many varieties of one fish species. 15 angelfish types! I have to say "WOW"! What country are you in, and what fish store is that?

14. ncjeValued MemberMember

Hi Isabella.. I am in Japan. The LFS is called tropiland. I couldnt find a complete stock link.. but this page is for new arrivals only. There are 9 types of angel listed here. The angels I have are 5th from top and last picture are the same as the ones I purchased yesterday.

Go through the links and see the massive stock of diff plecos they got in. Theres like 15 varieties of newly imported, rangind from young to full size. Some great fish. I note on this page that I found some painted fish... very sad. In my store (Sagamihara) I have never seen a painted fish, so its a little odd.

Just wanted to note: I purchased 3 of different ages once again ranging from small- medium to small so my fish are from different stock. I confirm this with the LFS as to arrival dates which they have stored in their data.

But from my original 3 two have suddenly started to hang very closely since the new arrivals.. maybe cause of increased angel competition their bond has excelerated? Just thinking aloud. Which begs my question as these fish arent so big.. when do they usually start to pair off?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice