Which algae eater do I have?

magentatooth

Do you think these are dreaded Chinese algae eaters? Ive had a suspicious fish attack recently.

to me they don’t seem to have th same patterning, but I haven’t found another species they look more like.
Thank you for any advice!

FinalFins

That does resemble a chinese algae eater, but it doesn't look lie it has a suction mouth at the angle that i'm seeing it from ?

Deku-Cory

Looks like a Chinese Algae Eater to me. Same exact body shape. I've never seen one quite that dark, but CAE's can have quite a variety of patterns and colors.

magentatooth

Thanks both - it definitely has a suction mouth.
oh no!
both to be rehomed before I get more fatalities!

coralbandit

That's a Garra ..The one everyone thinks is a flying fox ..
I have 2 of them with SAE..They are more 'active' and nippy to each other then the others but no trouble ..
Jus my guess but not SAE or CAE or oto IMO ..

magentatooth

Thanks for the advice - I agree they look a lot more like Garra than CAE to me.
Ideally I’ll keep them in that case, if just still leaves a mystery who ate my platy’s eye :/ other thought was albino cherry barb though they are smaller than the platy was (I since put it down).

Tez

it definitely has a suction mouth.
I've had Albino algae eaters and they do their job brill they're all over the tank but when they mature mine used to go for the fish territorial but my last one was 3 and half inches long and lay about making more waste than doing it's job, so I took him to the local aquarium.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
toustous
Replies
Views