Wheres the water goin?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ebbandflow, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

I've been watching my water level slowly go down over the past couple of weeks. I think I have lost about an inch or so of water in that time. I have checked everywhere and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. My room has been kept pretty cool and I have a full cover. The water temp is 78 degrees. Could it still be evaporation?

So I guess I have two questions then. Where is my water going? And regardless, what should I do about it?

Thanks.

2. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Do you gravel vacuum every week and replace water every week because you should do a minimum of 10% water change weekly but more would be better. If you haven't added any water in a few weeks than it's just evaporation, especially if it's a small tank, my ten gallon probably loses one gallon every week due to evaporation. Just add water throughout the week if it causes problems or bothers you.

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, it's evaporation.

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes it's definately evaporation :)
    Carol

5. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Ok thanks. I dont even have fish yet so no, I'm not doing water changes.

6. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

definitely evaporation. Even a tight-fitting lid will evaporate a lot. Which is some ofhte reason you want a lid, because you would have to replace several gallons of water (depending on tank size...) each week without one.

7. vinWell Known MemberMember

Depending upon the ambient temp of the room, my tank will go through anywhere from 1/2 to 1 gallon per week. Since I change my water weekly I don't bother to add any back and just make up for it with the water changes.

All tanks will evaporate some water as a result of the water temperature and the water movement itself.

8. ShortyValued MemberMember

My big tank is currently fishless cycling and the sheer amount of water i ahve had to add is unbelieveable! It seems that everyday more water has to go in, but hey it's all part of the fun :)