Where/ What To Get For Driftwood And Rocks

1. filtered_light

filtered_light Valued Member Member

Hi again,

My #1 question is about getting driftwood for my freshwater tank:
    -- are there particular recommended types?
    -- key words to look for?
    -- any recommended vendors? Curious how to know if wood is fish-safe... a lot of vendors seem kinda sketchy. Of course will boil anything I get, no matter what.

I had a small piece from a LFS that was kinda medium-dark and it leeched so many tannins (even after many boil-soak cycles). I don't mind a dab of tannins, but since I still have that piece, I have a never-ending supply. Would prefer next pieces to be less tannin-y.

#2, I would like to find some small (river/smooth) rocks, but have read warnings abut where to get them and what to use. Any suggestions would be awesome. Would love some that contrast a little with black sand.

Thanks for reading all my questions!

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I like finding them both at local rivers, overpasses are great places to look for driftwood and rocks.
    Keep an eye out and I'll be you can find some good stuff.

3. G

Gambs New Member Member

This page on facebook has a huge selection of wood and stone. They carry manzanita which doesn't release any tannins. Shipping was very reasonable ad well. $15 for 4 pieces. If you look it up, "Houston Manzanita"

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I have several pieces from rivers, from driftwood to branches to smooth stones. Soak and scrub them to insure they aren't releasing any outside issues into your tank, take off any bark you see. Malasian and manzanita are good one for no tannins, or you can hunt up one in a river that has already been cleansed of tannins and all yoy jave to do is boil/soak it in hot water to kill off any germs or critters. Some people have presoaked driftwood that will not leach.

5. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

If you gather anything from outside, boil boil boil it before introducing it to your tank. Also any rocks you use, test with Muriatic Acid which you can get at a Hardware store, just a drop or so and if there is bubbles don't use that rock.